Tap dance beginner? Please help me :S?

So I'm starting tap dancing soon. I am super nervous and excited but I have a lot of questions. Do you do Tap dance solos? What if I am starting in my teens? If I am put in a beginners class with any age in it, would I be with possibly 5 year olds? I may post more questions later! Thanks for answering!

Favorite Answer

Tap is lots and lots of fun, I love tap dancing :). It takes a few years to be good at tap, but its worth it in the end :). I have been doing dancing since i was 2yrs old and im 16yrs old now.

Tap dance solos will only happen if you ever take a Tap exam doing the Dance that your teacher makes up to set music at the end (thats if your doing Grade work), Doing a Dance Competition or your teacher teaches you a set dance and then you have to perform it in front of the class. And dont worry about being in your teens, lots of teenages start dance in their teens so dont worry about that.

Your Beginner class you wont be put in a class with little kids, youll be put in a Beginner class with people around the same age as you. but youll be put in the class and youll be shadowing other people in your class and youll pick up what they are doing.

Also remember to have fun and work hard and practise at home :), there will be times where you wish to give up (i did many times) but its worth it in the end ;)

Hope this helps :)

Source(s): 14yrs dance experience :)

It really depends what kind of studio you're going to. No, they won't give you a tap solo, especially since you're a beginner and you're in your teens. Also, many studios (not sure about yours), have "combo" or "predance" classes for kids 7 and under. You'll probably be with kids between 8-10. Tap is so fun, and by far my absolute favorite kind of dance. It is going to be pretty hard this first year, but work hard, and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! ALL of your basic tap foundation will be learned this year. Keep your heels up from the beginning so you won't have a bad habit for the rest of your life.

Well to tell you the truth i'm starting tap to and i'm SUPER excited as well but i'm going to be with people one year bellow me so if they were to put you with little kids like 7 to 6 you would be an aid cause in jazz and ballet i'm going to be an aid for 7-6 year old's so not all bad i guess

Source(s): I'm just starting tap dance