How do you get a custard like filling when baking a chess pie instead of a bready filling?

I've tried to make quite a few chess pies and they all turn out with a bready centers instead of a Custard like center and I can't figure out why? Every recipie is basicly the same but the there consistency is never right. Most people belive that the center is suppose to be bready but its not, not that it... show more I've tried to make quite a few chess pies and they all turn out with a bready centers instead of a Custard like center and I can't figure out why? Every recipie is basicly the same but the there consistency is never right. Most people belive that the center is suppose to be bready but its not, not that it taste bad but for me its a texture thing. I have tasted one with a Custard like center from a place called The Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen now they made it the correct way. I wish I could ask them how they make it but of course their not going to tell me its a bakery...lol I have also heard and researched that the pie crust needs to have poked holes in it to make a Custard but I haven't tried it because I'm affraid that the filling will seap threw the holes... If any body can help please reply its driving me crazy
1 answer 1