Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 years ago

i'm a writer, i want to start the revised version of my book - story, i'm looking for opinions should I start?

my book from the very very beginnings or from the point in a child who was 9 in the story,

Favorite Answer

Um, if you're up to revising it, you already know where you started. Revising means you have the story the way you want it, but now you're fine tuning it - making an okay word into the best word for that spot, cutting out info dumps, tweaking this scene or heightening up the tension in that scene.

If you don't even know where the story starts, at best, you're on your second draft and "reworking" the story, not merely revising it.

So, you now want to know where to really start this story? (Oh, it's not a "book" until it's published. We call them stories, plots, work-in-progress, etc., but not yet a book.) A story starts in one place and one place only - that moment in time when the protagonist (main character) has his/her normal life pulled out from under in such a way that there is but no choice but to work to get back to normal life. (Of course, that's how the protagonist sees it. As writers, we know there will never be a return to normal life, so the protagonist is really going to spend the rest of the story trying to create a new normal - for better or worse.) That moment when life changes - that point where the protagonist's entire life gets all screwed up in such a way that the rest of the story is how to fix it (obviously making it worse and worse for most of the story) is also the first paragraph. That way you do what we all need to do with our stories - hook the reader.

• manz

i became out fishing with my chum Danny on the sea close to Dillon's coastline and upon getting sand worms we sat on a cliff approximately 15 or 20 ft above the sea and dropped a line with our ft dangling interior the air. risky i think yet youthful adult males try this style of ingredient. After it began to get darkish we went to a cafe for dinner. I had basically have been given served and became playing an surprising meal and the subsequent ingredient i know i'm on the floor ill as a canines. i became so embarrassed to be ill in a public place like that ...spewing everywhere in the table and floor! they have been very super approximately it and have been given me some water and a towel. wiped sparkling it up and when I felt all right they helped me walk out and did no longer charge us something. i think of they have been afraid we would blame the food. Danny reported he heard somebody ask your self whether I had a spaz attack so as that would desire to truly have been a considerable attack of a few type and that i'm satisfied it did no longer ensue some hours earlier while i became sitting on that cliff above the sea or i does no longer be right here to place in penning this lame little tale o_O

• SarahJ

Um so what's your question....