Ali asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 8 years ago

What do Americans think about Kurdish people?

Kurds are Kurds. We are not Arabs, Turks, or Persian! For those that don't know who Kurdish people are or for whatever reason has something negative about them that you might of have read or seen on tv here is a story you all should read and know that Kurdish people are friends of America. Thank you and God bless. Please read this article by 60 minutes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18560_162-2486679.html...

Please read the story then comment

Favorite Answer

Most people here in the US know little about Kurds other than they constantly battle in Iraq against Baghdad's control. Some people here might know they have long fought against Turkey who considers them "Turks of the Mountains." Many know Kurds want independence in their own Kurdistan. The US has supported that or not depending on what was happening in that part of the world at the time.

Even I know few details about the lives of Kurdish people, but I assume Kurds do what many people do in Afghanistan's mountains and cities, except I heard new resorts have opened for European tourists. I view Kurds more like Afghanis than I do Persians and Turks only because of what I imagine was the general lifestyle and history of both. Both were fiercer mountain people, as were Scots in Britain and Scots-Irish in the US, although modern life has probably mellowed all those.

I believe Kurds are related to the people around them, including Persians and Turks. The Arabs in Iraq are a different ethnicity (Semite invaders) and culture but Kurds might have smaller differences in culture compared with Persians and Turks living in mountainous regions.

The greatest differences in culture around the world is not with people in other lands. It is between rural people and urban people. Modern communications and other technologies are softening the difference between those factions but there remains disconnects. The lives of urban and even suburban people are different from rural people even of the same ethnic group.

Kurdish herdsmen in mountains there probably have more in common with herdsmen in mountainous regions anywhere else in the world than they do with Kurds living in Baghdad or Tehran. I don't know what Kirkuk is like but they might even compare less with Kurds there.

PS: I think the Kurds are blessed and cursed by two things: water and oil. All the lands around them want both and lands far away, like the US, want the oil. If Kurds had neither, the countries controlling them probably wouldn't care if they were independent.

Source(s): For decades I studied philosophies, cultures, and social institutions. I began that because of confusion resulting from my military experience under the shadow of neo-Marxist anti-military and anti-capitalism indoctrination in the universities. I continue a forty year quest wading through the huge pile of stinking crap a wide variety of bigots piled on top of truth hiding it from nearly everyone's view. The pile was made by blaming people they don't like while excusing people they do like regardless of where the fault really lies.

Kurds are portrayed more as a bohemian people than Arab if you know what I mean. Nobody has any issues or prejudices towards Kurds that I know of. Also, your article is very interesting and informative, but I can honestly tell you that you don't have to worry about America disliking Kurdish people because we don't have any animosity towards you. The average American doesn't even associate Kurdish people with the conflicts we have had in the middle east. I hope this helped and gave you some peace of mind about how you are perceived, and once again it's not in a negative way.

Source(s): I am American
  • Tim C

My understanding of kurds is that they political issues in the middle east... especially with Iraqis and Turks.

Other than that, I believe most kurds are relatively peaceful.

I read the Kurdish people place a relatively strong value on learning and education.

I am an American and I like all people, Kurdish or any other. I judge people by the individual, not the race or ethnicity. Anyone that does, is just plain ignorant. =)

I'm Kurd and Sunni , I found out U.S People are nice to us , Becuase we have no problem with Americans we

just hate

Arabs cause they think they can beat us , This all the Arabs know about God , Islam and everything else .

I have the greatest admiration for the Kurdish people.

They are friends of America because the CIA gives the PKK and PKJ training, weapons ammo and other equipment to fight Iran.

We love Kurds, we love whey.

i think of it exchange right into somewhat volatile. I advise, seirously, who needs to consume a element mentioned as "cheese curds"? nonetheless, i think it incredibly is in line with Dairy Queen's ideals. in spite of those may be.