Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag?

Im looking to get a new rifle, and have been highly considering the 7mm Rem mag, im looking for a nice everything caliber for shots from 75 yards out to 600 some times more, i frequently make trips to Colorado, Texas, Montana and such to hunt hogs, deer, elk, coyotes, just never owned a 7mm rem mag, ive got a 30-06, .270, and 6.5x55 for large rifles. so i was wondering what yalls experiences have been with the 7mm rem mag. just want your opinions on the caliber threw your experiences.

you can think what you like, i dosent mean anything to me, im asking a simple question, trying to get some help, i never said i was extremely experienced. im just lucky enough to have the money to go hunt in other states, than mine, ive used many caliber but by no means do i claim to be an expert with them, i shot a 7mm rem mag one time last year in Colorado and loved it, i just wanted to see what others thought before i jumped in a bought one. but no im no expert, just a guy who saves money to go hunt where i want to.

Favorite Answer

Wow I’m a bit surprised by some of your answers.

Well I used to have a 7mm mag Remington 700 however over the years I went to the .300 win mag and the .338 win mag for long range big game, simply because I think they are better for big bears than the 7mm mag. Why? Because the 7mm cant launch 220 bullets like the other two calibers can. But for deer and elk the 7mm mag is fine for long shots. Now some who don’t live in the prairie states cant understand the need for real long shots sometimes. I am one who thinks a hunter should get within at least 400 yards for a shot on an elk or deer. However there are times that’s just not possible such a vast grasslands of the Midwest or the Tundra here in Alaska. It does take lots of skill and patience for such long shots. My rule of thumb was wait for the animal to lower its head to graze before I fired on a shot over 400+ yards. This way I had far less wounded animals from them moving as the bullet was on its way. Trying to hit a running deer at 500 or 600 yards is just careless to me.

I think the 7mm mag would serve you well unless you plan on hunting grizzly/ brown bears or long shots on big moose. I really liked that 7mm mag Rem I had, I just wasn’t using it enough to warrant keeping it.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag?

Im looking to get a new rifle, and have been highly considering the 7mm Rem mag, im looking for a nice everything caliber for shots from 75 yards out to 600 some times more, i frequently make trips to Colorado, Texas, Montana and such to hunt hogs, deer, elk, coyotes, just never owned a 7mm rem...

Source(s): remington 700 7mm rem mag: https://shortly.im/SLf5W
  • august

If you're taking shots on game at 600 yards, you're doing it wrong. With all due respect, I think you're stretching the truth. If you're not, I apologize, but it does tend to stretch credulity a bit.

And there is no single "everything" cartridge. As others have said, if you can't do the job on ungulates and small predators with a .270 Winchester or .30-06 Springfield, it probably doesn't need doing.

The price difference alone between 7mm Remington Magnum and standard cartridges like .270 Win or .30-06 should be enough to dissuade you from choosing it. You'll pay anywhere from 10% to 50% or more for 7mm Rem Mag.

• wren

Remington 700 7mm

Personally not a big fan of the 7mm mag. You need at least a 24" barrel to get the performance out of it and really a 26" barrel is best. So you will have a long heavy rifle. Another thing is after 200 yards the 7mm mag isn't going to have a hydrostatic shock effect so its only killing power is going to come from the size of the hole it makes. So at 400 yards a 06 is going to kill just as well, it will have more bullet drop. If you really want a long range rifle for game the size of elk, I think banging away at big game over 400 yards is not hunting but thats just my opinion, look at the 300 win mag. It will have the ability to shoot the 200 grain high bc bullets like the 7mm mag does but it will also carry more energy to target and make a bigger hole when it gets there!

• Eric

I borrowed a remingtin 700 in 7mm Rem mag once. It was a lot of rifle, and I never hunted with one again. 30-06 or .308 is plenty for the lower 48, even out to 600 yards. especially if you do closer ranged shot, the 7mm is way overkill.

There's not enough difference between the 270 and 7mm Mag to make it worth buying a different rifle, even at 500 yards there is nothing major to choose between them.

7mm Rem Mag 140 gr Nosler BT -32.84" / 2252 fps / 1576 fpe

270 Win 140 Gr. Barnes XBT -38.55" / 2079 fps / 1343 fpe

With a 200 yard zero they are down 5.6 and 6.5 inches respectively at 300 yards. Both have plenty of energy at 500 yards and no animal is going to notice the difference if you do your job.

I don't think so. I smell BS.

If you were as experienced as you say you are you would not need to ask your question here.

Added: OK, dude, if you say so. I have owned and hunted with at least 15 different rifle calibers and I never felt the need to ask anyone what caliber I should buy, much less ask a bunch of strangers. You know there is no such thing as an everything caliber, don't you?

Sorry you have to hear all of these peoples rude comments. I own a 7mm mag and have put down 300 pound plus deer out to 400 yards. They didn't run 20 yards. I think it is a great caliber and the closest you can get to the perfect all around gun.

yalls experiences ?????

Anyways.......

Stick with whats common.... The 30-06 is more than enough for your purposes..... More bullet weights are available also in 30-06.....