Is a ticket written by a rent-a-cop enforceable?

I received a ticket/citation issued by community college "police" - not real cops - for expired tags while parked in their lot. There's no court listed on the ticket. I was parked in Santa Monica College's parking lot, and one of the campus police left me a ticket for expired tags. I had... show more I received a ticket/citation issued by community college "police" - not real cops - for expired tags while parked in their lot. There's no court listed on the ticket.

I was parked in Santa Monica College's parking lot, and one of the campus police left me a ticket for expired tags. I had paid my tags, and put them on, but they were missing/stolen somehow, I replaced them (after verifying that I was indeed current.)

They did not cite me for anything else, such as illegal parking - just the expired tag.

Are private tickets like this enforceable in CA? Can they hold my car registration renewal hostage as they threaten to on the ticket? From what I read, what they are really doing is trying to bill me, since by definition this is not an enforceable citation. I checked and the citation number is not listed with the court.

I read that the CA Attorney General issued an opinion recently, that private parking companies may not issue enforceable citations - does this fall under that opinion? Thanks.
Update: I realize they have jurisdiction to *patrol* but that is not the same as having the legal standing to write a citation that holds up in court. That's my question - their legal standing. I also notice that the company that processes their citation money is not the same as the one that the City of Santa Monica... show more I realize they have jurisdiction to *patrol* but that is not the same as having the legal standing to write a citation that holds up in court. That's my question - their legal standing.

I also notice that the company that processes their citation money is not the same as the one that the City of Santa Monica (or Superior Court of LA) uses - meaning that, as far as I can tell, these are probably more akin to sending you a bill that they hope you'll pay, after "citing" you for a violation of state law, and then collecting. It's as if you parked in my apartment's garage, and then I left a "ticket" on your windshield to pay me if your tags were late.