Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 7 years ago

What else can I have in my fish tank?

I have a male betta and a brown underwater frog. I am getting an albino underwater frog today. The betta gets along very well with my frog. They swim around together. What else can I have? Can I have a newt? I like pretty fish and the cool amphibian underwater animals. Thx:) ps this question is about my friends fish tank she told me 2 write this.

• Gracie
    Best Answer

Without telling us your friend's tank size we cannot give you a decent answer.

But I have to agree with the others albino underwater frogs are most likely African Clawed Frogs, which can grow up to 4-5 inches and would eat your fish and other frog. The small species is African Dwarf Frog, they can be kept with fish, they are often chosen as Betta tankmates. Albino ADFs are very very rare, some say they don't even exist. The most common problem with this combination is that ADFs are slow and have bad eyesight and the agile, hungry Bettas gobble up the frogs' food before they even notice it, so they need spot feeding.

She could and depending on the tank size maybe should get another ADF, they are social creatures.

The easiest way to tell the difference between ADFs and ACFs is looking at their feet.

ADFs have webbed front feet: http://www.flippersandfins.net/Images/ADF/ftof010....

ACFs don't: http://www.pollywogsworldoffrogs.com/frogs/african...

(I hope the links work.)

Apart from them there aren't really any amphibians that you can keep with Bettas or fish in general. Certainly not newts, they need much cooler water, they can get harassed by fish or eat smaller fish. Axolotls are the same, their gills are often eaten by fish. Since your friend asked about mixing newts and fish, I'm linking you this article, but if your friend is willing to set up a species only tank for newts, the entire site is great, contains very important and useful information: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disaster... and this on Axies: http://www.axolotl.org/

If your friend is interested in underwater critters, she might find Nerite Snails interesting. They eat algae and they are quite pretty, they come in many patterns. Some people keep shrimp (Ghost Shrimp, Cherry Shrimp, Amano Shrimp) with their Bettas. but it doesn't always work out: shrimp can become very delcious and expensive snack for Bettas. Snail & Shrimp info on: http://www.planetinverts.com/

Source(s): Former Betta owner. Since the Betta is gone: shrimp owner. I also keep Nerite Snails in various tanks. I also have Chinese Fire Belly Newts. As for white ADFs, I've seen one in a LPS, checked the feet 10x at least. I'm not sure if its colors were faded because of stress or if it was a true ADF, but I didn't want to check it for myself: ADFs can live up to 18 years and I didn't want another long-term pet.

Don't let her get an albino underwater frog! They are not like dwarf frogs and will grow to 2 pounds in weight and a foot across and will be big enough to a six inch goldfish within three years! It will be a matter of weeks before the betta and the smaller frog are eaten. Also, in order to accomodate just the current fish and frog you need a 5 gallon tank and an albino water frog needs a 20 gallon or larger. Newts will also eat your betta and your frog and need a land area, and they can't live in a heated tank.

• Ash

What you have now is a African Dwarf Frog. Do not get that albino frog. Its called an African Clawed Frog and they will eat your current frog and fish. They don't leak toxins in the water they just poop a lot like goldfish which increases the ammonia in the water. They also get monstrous huge, softball sized easily. You cannot put salamanders or newt they need semi-aquatic waters. So do fire belly toads and all them.

If you didn't have the frog or fish with a 25 gallon tank you could have kept an axotol which are fasinating creatures.

Skip the albino clawed frog unless your sure it's a dwarf clawed frog. African clawed frogs can get big enough to eat small fish, even ones they've grown up with all their lives. No newts unless they have land they can escape to. Plus I believe I've heard that they can leak toxins into the water, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

If your looking for something interesting, go with some invertebrates, like freshwater shrimp, dwarf crayfish (not regular crayfish), or large snails. I highly recommend ghost shrimp because they're cheap and fun to watch.

Source(s): Had an albino clawed frog eat a herd of cory cats he had grown up with for the good part of a year.
  • Zack

I'm gonna needa tank size before I can answer this question

zack