What is a "Crucial SSD?

What is this? And what does it do? Can I put it in my desktop?

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-64-2-5-Inch-Solid-St...

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Crucial is a brand name for a company that makes memory components.

A SSD (Solid State Drive) is a type of drive used to store data. It contains no moving parts and therefore, there is no seek time and since the data is saved in forms of 1 and 0s in memory blocks, the read and write times are significantly faster than a traditional Hard Disk Drive (or HDD).

You may experience read write times of up to 20x times faster over a HDD. Since there is no spinning platter, a SSD is can withstand a 8.9 magnitude earthquake whilst operating while a HDD will corrupt. And since there's no need for a motor to spin the platter, there is less energy consumption.

However, SSDs are more expensive than HDDs per a gigabyte and they have limited read and write cycles. HDDs are cheaper and have unlimited read/write cycles.

SSDs also save you time. You don't need to defragment them. Ever. Put Windows on it and you'll find booting will be 5x times faster than on a HDD. And loading times in games, booting up games, booting up Photoshop and booting of applications will be faster as well.

Yes, you can put it into your desktop. Usually, you'll need to buy a 2.5' to 3.5' mount to install it or you can be cheap like me and use 1 screw and a piece of banding plastic/rubber band. One in the side of the 3.5' mount band and tie the drive off with a piece of plastic through the screw holes in the case. Don't worry, SSDs don't vibrate.

• 9 years ago

Crucial is a brand name, and an ssd is a solid state drive. They are extremely fast hard drives, and yes you can out them in your desktop.

• 9 years ago

Crucial is the brand, and ssd stands for solid state drive, it has no moving parts, so its safer and faster than normal harddrives, and yes you can put it in your desktop , would be a performance upgrade =)

Source(s): im a tech
  • Eye
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

http://www.crucial.com/store/ssd.aspx

Crucial is a brand :)

And like the poster above said, it wont fit into your desktop

A solid-state drive (SSD) (sometimes improperly referred to as a "solid-state disk" or "electronic disk") is a data storage device that uses integrated circuit assemblies as memory to store data persistently. SSD technology uses electronic interfaces compatible with traditional block input/output (I/O) hard disk drives. SSDs do not employ any moving mechanical components, which distinguishes them from traditional magnetic disks such as hard disk drives (HDDs) or floppy disks, which are electromechanical devices containing spinning disks and movable read/write heads

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

It is a 2.5 inch solid sate laptop hard drive. No the one you posted will not fit a desk top computer as they use a 3.5 inch hard drive. Crucial is the brand name and manufacturer of the hard drive you listed.

• 9 years ago

It is a 'solid state drive', a special flash drive that is fast for all practical purposes. I have seen SSD drives made with RAM, a controller and a battery. But current generation one are basically big FAST flash drives.

• 9 years ago

brand name

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.