What really goes on during animal testing?

I'm really considering not using some of my favorite beauty products anymore if they test them on animals. But, before I do that can someone explain to me what goes on during the animal testing for beauty products and medicine. Like do they just apply beauty products on them to see if they work or do they hurt... show more I'm really considering not using some of my favorite beauty products anymore if they test them on animals. But, before I do that can someone explain to me what goes on during the animal testing for beauty products and medicine. Like do they just apply beauty products on them to see if they work or do they hurt them or keep them in unsanitary conditions or something? Please explain to me everything they do to them. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
(I put this question in vegetarian and vegan because a lot of vegans where I live do animal rights work.)