null
null asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

Public Union school teachers lament they cannot effectively educate poor black kids without higher saleries?

and pensions-but yet in these same schools Hmong (asian) students scores rival kids in much wealthier districts.

Shouldnt it be about the kids and not the Public Unions?

http://books.google.com/books?id=--9FhG69PP0C&pg=P...

Favorite Answer

You might want to read an article before you provide a link. This one does not support your point. And it does not compare Hmong performance with black performance. A following article does examine black students and white students as to their perceptions of themselves. And the perceptions of Hispanic students in another article.

The article examines Hmong students. And in fact, it says the Hmong culture for first generation students has a much greater impact than for "Americanized" Hmong students. What is spelled out is better performance and behavior in first generation students because of the ties to the culture. That is actually born out in studies of most Asian students. The cultures respect education and teachers, has high regard for parental authority and for other authorities, and has a strong work ethic. However, later generations have a higher rate of drop-outs, truancy, gang involvement, etc., with fewer ties to the parent culture.

It says nothing about teachers' unions or salaries.

Mostly the chain of articles examines immigrant groups in a generational manner and with regard to the role of the parent culture as it affects suucceeding generations.

Source(s): I read the articles.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. Actually teachers need to quit being legislated and start being respected as professionals. Politicians feel that they know better what students need and legislate teachers into a corner. They tell teachers how to teach and create an environment where it is incredibly tempting to teach to a test rather than teaching children how to learn. You have heard the old saying "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life." The same goes for education. If you teach children how to learn you will give them a gift that last a lifetime. In our current environment (No Child Left Behind (or Untested)) teachers are unable to give children that gift. People apparently have gotten the idea that all teachers are slackers, and left to their own devices would just put on movies all day until summer break. So people (politicians, board of directors, etc) feel they need to keep teachers under their thumb. I mean do you really think it would create better surgeons if the politicians read a book and decided that only one particular surgery would work for all patients, whether they have brain tumors or appendicitis. And then pass legislation saying that this is the way it has to be done while only giving the surgeons a small stipend to buy all the tools necessary for the surgery (which would only cover about half of the tools they need). Then, when the mortality rates increase, blaming the physicians and saying "See, this is why we have to tell them how to do their jobs. If we don't they will just kill everybody." Then passing even tighter legislation requiring that the surgeons only use certain tools during this one surgery. Then when the mortality rate increases again, blaming the physicians saying "Well I guess they aren't getting it. I guess what we should do is allow people to do their own surgeries since anyone can read a book and do this, I mean it is only surgery. But we will have to take money away from the professionals so that they average joe can pay for the tools they need to do the surgery. I mean the surgeons obviously don't care enough to do it right..." and so on and so on. A bit of an extreme example but I hope it effectively, if not sardonically, illustrates the point. Teachers are in this profession to help students learn. The lack of respect for the profession is what gets to most of us. If you treat teachers like they are children that need to be kept under a watchful eye or they will do something wrong you will soon only have people in the profession who are in it to get the summers off and play movies all day. And that will be a sad day.

In my city, every year since 2007, teachers have had to take a pay cut. This year their union stood firm and said that the school district had enough money. The school district said that if the teachers didn't take another pay cut, they would have to lay off 1,000 teachers. The union won, and the district laid off 496 teachers.

Last week, the 496 teachers were quietly called back to work. The union was right! They did have the money!

It IS about the kids - but kids who have English as a second language, or kids that live in poverty, struggle to learn what rich kids learned in private preschools years before. Many of these kids need one-on-one tutoring, but their parents work 2 or 3 jobs and don't have the time or don't know English well enough.

No, I'm not a teacher, but I used to volunteer in my children's schools - the best and the worst - and I saw how hard teachers work. Until you've been in a classroom, don't knock the people who are responsible for our future. If we don't have an educated workforce, we will be doomed!

Whether all kids get great scores or not teachers are underpaid... period. I would pay higher property taxes for higher salaries and benefits for teachers. Higher earnings typically mean better employees and a better product. I have no problem with teachers having a scoring system that holds teachers accountable to justify a high salary either.

Our public education in America sucks and there Is no surprise here that other industrialized nations have smarter kids now. We demand cuts to education and we don't want to pay to be competitive. We rest on our reputation from half a century ago and the world is passing us by.... and half of America actually makes fun of educated people as they talk out of their non-expert and uncredentialed asses as they talk about "legitimate" rape victims having body defenses to their ability to be impregnated or about how there is no thing as climate change and global warming or human contribution to those real phenomena.

We should honor those who take on the sacred duty to educate our next generation by ensuring that they will not be poor or without health care. Only unions are fighting for their rights. I support the unions AND the teachers.

Interesting, so Hmong (asian) students out perform African American children within the same school?

They couldn't effectively educate most of them with rocket scientist salaries and body guards. Most of them either can't learn or they won't. It's all the same either way.

No teacher union or not makes that claim.

Only hacks working to keep our citizens ignorant would make that argument.

Mind showing where the unions say that?

Good teachers teach, poor teachers whine about pay, benefits, tenure and infrastructure. LOL!