Matheus asked in SportsMartial Arts · 8 years ago

The most efficient Fighting Style/ Martial Arts for the streets?

I am deciding on a Martial Art/ Fighting Style to train in this year, I would like your personal opinion as to which three of these are the most efficient and most likely to help you defend yourself in street fight situations

Please keep in mind the time taken to learn them

Consider the following ones for your list:

Krav Maga

Keysi Fighting Method

Russian Systema

Jeet Kune Do

Ninjutsu

Aikido

Wing Chun

Thanks!

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

In order of effectiveness WHEN MASTERED for street self defense:

1. Krav Maga: Krav Maga was developed by a Hungarian-Israeli martial artist named Imi Lichtenfeld to defend the Jewish quarter against fascist groups in Bratislava. It was then refined by the Israeli army to cater for all kinds of real life situations. It includes defense against all kinds of weapons as well as hand to hand combat. The basic principle of Krav Maga is to finish a fight as soon as possible by doing whatever it takes, including the use of dirty tactics and even breaking bones if need be. It is now widely known as the most well-rounded self defense martial art.

2. Russian Systema: Systema is almost all about finding the thousands of pressure points located all over the body to immobilize your opponent and put them in a great deal of pain. This is an amazing martial art for self defense however it takes many years to be able to locate these pressure points in a real life situation, let alone master the full martial art. It also includes weapon defense however systema was originally created for military purposes and therefore includes a lot of firearms training, along with other military-based techniques. Also you can't really put much of the training to use for many weeks after starting. (Why did I put this as no. 2 again?) :P

3. Aikido: Aikido utilizes purely grappling technique, e.g. throws and joint locks rather than punches and kicks, as the aim is to avoid harm inflicted on yourself as well as avoid inflicting harm on your opponent. Aikido is performed by blending with the motion of the attacker and redirecting the force of the attack rather than opposing it head-on. This requires very little physical strength. This also includes weapon defense training

In order of effectiveness and practicality through time taken to master the martial art:

1: Krav Maga

2: Keysi Fighting Method: KFM is widely renown for the role it played in the fight choreography for the movies: Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises. It is a simple yet effective self defense martial art that you can put to use straight away. It derives from Spain and the nearly all of the training is based around multiple target fighting, e.g. you're against a group of attackers, because if you know how to defeat multiple opponents then you'll sure as hell be able to defeat a lone opponent. This training method gives it real depth that a lot of martial arts lack.

3: Aikido

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

Source(s): Survival Methods http://givitry.info/SurviveAlmostAnything
  • 4 years ago

Any martial art should be efficient, if it isn't efficient you're just in a fitness class. Check out the places in your area and try them out. Don't rule anything out based on what people say about a given style, taught correctly any martial art will give you a huge advantage when it comes to defending yourself. After you've done the leg work compare the schools and arts and decide which is taught the best and has the most skilled students. This could be hard to determine without experience but look for technique (shouldn't be sloppy, weak or require a second try) fitness (students don't have to be ripped, but people shouldn't be sitting around for more than just a quick breather or water break) and the teacher should be able to clearly explain a technique (if they can't, how will you learn?). Don't be afraid to ask questions when getting trial classes, this is your opportunity to find the best school you can.

• Krav Maga, Keysi Fighting Method, Jeet Kune Do, or Russian Systema. These are modern military and self-defense styles.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • JD
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

I wouldn't say one is more efficient then the other. It is just a matter of what fighting style you prefer. I like wing chun, Aikido ( very difficult to master) , and Krav Maga. With that being said a street fight is unpredictable , never fair, and often involves some weapon. Having martial arts knowledge is an advantage but never a guarantee on the streets.

• Nothing can prepare you for the streets really but i will give my opens on these martial arts this is just a opinion

Krav maga for the military-Great for the civilians-depending on the teacher great but has a high mcdojo rate in America but if you can find a good teacher its good

Jeet kun do-its a philosophy not a martial art

Russian Symstema- there is 97% chance that what you learning in America is BS in the Russian- Special Forces yes it can work

Ninjustu unless you have a actual descendent fro the actual clans or are in japan its a mcdojo

wing chun-nothing wrong with it its not my favorite but hell its ok to me

Aikido- it just hard martial art to master if you don't get it with in the first year your screwed on learning it

Keyshi fighting method- a martial created for the batman movie is it effective its to new to truly find out

• 8 years ago

Jeet Kune do is not just a martial art. It is a philosophy and way of life. There is no learning Jeet Kune Do...You can only expand it. The only things that you must master to be effecient in jeet kune do is: Countering, Evading, Timing, reading your opponent, pressure points, blocking and parrying. Also you most have some knowledge in self defense or know techniques from several different martial arts that are useful and relevant: grappling techniques, punching, kicking etc. In jeet Kune Do your goal is not to be hit and most of all not to be linear. There are no schools that teach jeet kune do. If you go to a school that teaches you jeet kune do you are wasting your time. There is simply no such thing. If there is they can only guide you simply because you are following your own unique path. It is what you make it. Also you must get trained By instructors in several martial arts or those you choose and be effecient(you do not have to master a martial art neither get a belt)hands on and read A LOT if this is the path you take. MMA IS A SPORT used for two people to beat the crap out of each other until they are braind dead just for a shiny gold belt...It is entertaining though.

Now to answer your question...Its really up to you my friend

• 3 years ago

Most Effective Fighting Style

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Any martial art can be effective in the street.

When it comes to an encounter, it is not a matter of "which martial art do you use?"

It is a matter of "are you more proficient at your martial art than your opponent is at his?"

No martial art can beat a firearm when your opponent is out of your range!

EDIT:

The sequence that every martial arts teacher of mine has pounded into my head is:

1. Walk away - if you can't do that

2. Run away - if you can't do that

3. Call out for help (preferably a cop) - if you can't do that

4. Find a weapon for yourself - if you can't do that

5. As a last resort, use your martial art.

In light of this, my preferred martial art has been walking stick techniques rather than empty hand techniques.

The cane/walking stick as a weapon is taught is several martial arts (including Aikido.)

I always have a walking stick with me when I go out on the street.

• 8 years ago

Streets? its this amazing art, sadly unknown by many.. its called, man the f*** up and win. its all about survival, martial arts are ways of life in general, not just jkd.. martial arts are not going to teach you what you need to know to survive on the streets. best thing is to avoid it, which you can ALWAYS do. however if you wanna be able to defend yourself, get in shape, eat right, toughen up mentally and dont be a b**ch. it sounds harsh and mean and innapropriate, but after years of studying martial arts and hand to hand combat, the only thing that works when your in a life or death situation is pure survival, toughness, an unbreakable will, and the mentality of an animal. good luck

Source(s): years in martial arts/hand to hand combat, plenty of fights
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.