BigBill asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Which is better: A Barry Goldwater conservative or a William F. Buckley conservative?

I lean toward William F. Buckley myself.

Update:

I'm well over 55 years old. And I grew up watching FIRING LINE (as well as College Bowl) on channel 2 - PBS, which enamoured me to everything about William F. Buckley.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Are you old enough to remember those William F. Buckley debates on TV?

That's what totally turned me on to Conservatism. The ideas just made so much sense.

• 9 years ago

A Barry Goldwater conservative is actually so close to the middle that he might even be registered as a Democrat. I'll take the Buckley side myself.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Nelson Rockefeller become too average to be considered an marvelous conservative. have not you heard of the word "Rockefeller Republican"? Barry Goldwater, not likely a conservative, extra of a libertarian. William F. Buckley, sure. fairly considered one of u . s .'s superb conservatives.

• 9 years ago

Both hated and censured the John Birch Society, which was started by the Koch Brothers Dad, and is in fact the parent organization of the pathetic dog and pony show on Fox "News."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I prefer Buckley. He favored freedom in the drug war. Freedom always works better than oppression.

• jehen
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Either better than any Republican today. Both of these men believed in effective government. Not like the republican agenda today which is to dismantle government and make so disfunctional that you will hate it as much as they do and let them do it.

• 9 years ago

Goldwater was more of a Liberal in the latter part of his life.

• 9 years ago

neither would be considered conservative enough for today's republican party.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Better at what being dead?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.