BigBill asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Which is better: A Barry Goldwater conservative or a William F. Buckley conservative?

I lean toward William F. Buckley myself.

I'm well over 55 years old. And I grew up watching FIRING LINE (as well as College Bowl) on channel 2 - PBS, which enamoured me to everything about William F. Buckley.

Favorite Answer

Are you old enough to remember those William F. Buckley debates on TV?

That's what totally turned me on to Conservatism. The ideas just made so much sense.

A Barry Goldwater conservative is actually so close to the middle that he might even be registered as a Democrat. I'll take the Buckley side myself.

Nelson Rockefeller become too average to be considered an marvelous conservative. have not you heard of the word "Rockefeller Republican"? Barry Goldwater, not likely a conservative, extra of a libertarian. William F. Buckley, sure. fairly considered one of u . s .'s superb conservatives.

Both hated and censured the John Birch Society, which was started by the Koch Brothers Dad, and is in fact the parent organization of the pathetic dog and pony show on Fox "News."

I prefer Buckley. He favored freedom in the drug war. Freedom always works better than oppression.

• jehen

Either better than any Republican today. Both of these men believed in effective government. Not like the republican agenda today which is to dismantle government and make so disfunctional that you will hate it as much as they do and let them do it.

Goldwater was more of a Liberal in the latter part of his life.

neither would be considered conservative enough for today's republican party.

Better at what being dead?