Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 8 years ago

I'm a starving vegan college student living on my own. Easiest meal you know? Don't say salad?

There is a grocery store across the street but all I can find is complicated recipes. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Dragon bowls. To paraphrase Shakespeare, custom cannot stale its infinite variety.

You need: cooked grain or starch, a vegetable or vegetables, some sort of protein-y thing, and a sauce.

Tonight, I had one made with quinoa, braised mixed veggies (onions, bell peppers, and kale), and some marinara sauce. My curried lentils had gone bad :-( so I sprinkled on some cheese.

You can go all around the world with this one.

Middle Eastern could be couscous with falafel, mixed cold veggies (radish, cucumber, scallion, maybe some lettuce) and tahini sauce.

Mexican could be brown rice, salsa, and beans (toss on some olives, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and avocado).

Asian could be more rice with a stir-fry that includes tofu, tempeh, or edamame.

Comfort food? Mashed potatoes or leftover stuffing (or both) with field roast, green beans, and gravy.

Something spicy? Mashed sweet potatoes with gumbo or black bean chili (I put lots of veggies in my stew-like things, so I don't need extra).

Something wintery? Barley topped with slow-cooked leeks and mushrooms. (For protein, try some Italian-style white beans with garlic and sage.)

If you buy pre-made sauces, make a big batch of starch, and do some of your basic chopping prep at the start of the week, it's very easy. If you make a double batch of your veggies or protein, you can also re-use leftovers in different combinations.

Cheapest and easiest meal I know is Ramen noodles mixed with vegetables and maybe some mock meat.

At the grocery store you can get a whole case of TOP RAMEN oriental and chili flavor ( they are the vegan ones) for each really cheap as they are like 35 cents each. It takes 5 minutes to make and you can throw in mushrooms, sprouts, carrots, peas, and maybe some mock chicken strips too. :)

Maybe you'd like this book, "Eat Vegan On $4 A Day." :)

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Vegan-4-00-Day-Conscious...

If you check out veg web, they have tons of vegan recipes. Some are simple, some are complicated. Find ones that are simple. ;)

http://vegweb.com/

• Leslie

bowl of stuff. Get a saucepan, throw in chopped/diced onions if you have any, add a vegan sauce or make one of your own, add vegetables and lentils or chickpeas or beans or barley. Works for whatever kind of food you have. buy some herbs and spices and start a collection, like one or 2 a week until you have some different ones. Do that, and all the fancy recipes are yours to make. yes, they are really cheap but not if you're buying 10 at a time. single ones are a lot cheaper than combo ones.

• Suzy Q

So just cook food based on the principle starch+protein+veggies instead of looking up recipes.

One of my easiest go-to meals is a simple chili: I boil rice, and while that is cooking I fry an onion, a diced bell pepper and any other veggies I may have lying around, then throw in a can of pinto beans in chili sauce and heat through. Easy, nutritious, cheap and done in about 10 minutes.

Lots of these recipes are vegan or veganizable and pretty simple, and they're all really cheap: http://casualkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/10/25-best-...

You could also do spaghetti with sauteed onions and garlic, your favorite jarred pasta sauce, and some Italian seasoning. Three-bean salad is another reliably simple and cheap meal. And this vegan mac and cheese is delicious and pretty simple: http://www.thiscantbevegan.com/2012/02/classic-bak...

Vegan Friendly "Free From" Curry sauce out of a Jar and about 200g of frozen veg. Add some rice and boom you have a curry. Cost about £2 per meal? Cheap and simple.

Hello:)

Rice and beans

Tortilla with lettuce, beans, and rice

Veggie soup(corn, celery, carrots, potatoes, ect) in a tomato or veggie broth

PB and J..if you're super desperate

Fruit salad

Hummus and bread

Oatmeal with brown sugar(if you don't want to be super healthy) and almond/rice/whatever 'milk' you like

Source(s): I'm not vegan but I hope I helped!

Brown Rice, Chop up some Peppers (fry with some olive oil, garlic powder), and a can of pea's. I love this meal and do this frequently when Im being "lazy" and its a cheap meal to to get you by!

I don't know about set recipes, but go for cheap but good foods. Beans and rice are good for protein and can be bought in bulk cheaply and stored for a long time. Veggies can be gotten very cheaply, if you shop around. Potatoes are also good. Just put them together in a pan and heat with water/oil.

To the second person lol, she wouldn't be a vegan then.

What about Boca products, that brand is for the vegan consumer. Garbanzo beans, you can make patties, hummus, use as is. What about stir fry with the veggies and spices you like...plus its super quick to make. Pasta (any kind) with veggies in garlic oil