i want to learn outdoor portrait photography, what kind of camera should i get?

I took photography classes in school, then I took a break for several years. A few years ago I got interested again and bought myself a Sony A100 digital SLR. Only 10mp. I mostly like to take pictures of nature and buildings. A friend thought I had a nice camera so she asked me if I would take a family picture for her because they were on a budget and just needed something up to date to send to grandma. This has sparked an interest for me. Please, any suggestions on what camera to buy?

Favorite Answer

Your camera is fine, what portraits need is controlled lighting which is why most are shot in a studio.

Even outdoors a portrait photographer will still use diffusers, reflectors and even soft-boxes and flash to get the lighting as they want it, it's very rare that the natural outdoor lighting is good enough or from the right direction to be used in portraiture without modification.

80% of what makes a good image is external to the camera, lighting, composition, 'the moment', camera angles, lighting angles etc. etc. your camera merely records it, of the 20% of what makes a good image left after the 80%, 15% is lens and only 5% camera and only then when the lighting is less than ideal. Get everything right in front of the camera with enough light and a point and shoot would record a perfectly acceptable image.

Chris

I would recommend you the camera I have which is Panasonic Lumix LX-1 (or the new model, LX-2). The lens is a Leica DC Vario-Elmarit f/2/8-f/4.9, the exact same lens as the Leica D-Lux camera. So you're basically getting a Leica camera with the name and price of a Panasonic. The LX-1 shoots at 16:9 so it's wide angle. It also shoots at 4:3 and 3:5 dimensions. It comes in Aperture, Shutter Speed, Personal and Manual mode and also allows you to adjust exposure. You can shoot in colour, sepia or B&W. It's Macro focusing is really good; I take beautiful close-up shots all the time. With 8.4 megapixels and the ability to shoot in RAW format, you'd need a large SD card. The downside of this camera is that if you shoot is ISO 200 and above you get really really noisy shots. You can't extend the flash either, so indoor shots aren't very nice (but outdoor shots are beautiful) The Lumix LX-1 retails for S$650 at Mustafa (I bought it for S$999 at an IT fair!) The LX-2 is a 12megapixel camera with apparently much better noise reduction. I don't know how much it costs.

Try Trick Photography Special Effects : http://tinyurl.com/VjXnq2Q1X0