Do you believe 21, dec, 2012 is the end of the world?

I was a little freaked out at first but now i just think its all a hoax to get money and scare people.

Update:

I would give you a thumbs-up mike but im only on level 1.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Whew... thank goodness... someone that has thought about this first, before going crazy.

You will find that the vast majority of regulars in this forum not only are quite certain nothing particularly unusual will happen that day but have become annoyed at the flood of questions specifically about this non-event.

At *least* a half-dozen times per day, we have trolls, scared children or gullible adults coming to us , telling us how scared they are, or that family members are talking about it being the end of the world, or other such silliness.

And you are absolutely right - the vast majority of those perpetuating this hoax are doing so to scam money from the gullible and the easily frightened.

• 9 years ago

What's the end of the world on 21 December 2012 going to be this time?

The solar system passing through a "photon belt" near Alcyone? Good story, but photons do not form belts, Alcyone is moving away from us and it was all supposed to happen about 1958.

The return of Jesus, yet again?

Planet X which was supposed to be here in May 2003 having another go at us? Why can't we see planet X if it's only four months away? Why could we not see it in 2003 when it was first supposed to be here?

Invasion of the annunaki from Nibiru looking for gold? Why can't we see Niburu if it's only four months away?

The rapture, yet again?

All the planets in the solar system lining up, even though they cannot and will not, and doing . . . something somehow? Must be magic because it sure will not be gravity. Wasn't that supposed to happen in 1999?

Solar flares, which happen around five times a week on a long term average.

Coronal mass ejections on the Sun which are fairly common - like the one on 14 July 2012. Notice anything, did you?

A line up of the Sun and the Earth or something with the centre of the galaxy, which comes vaguely close twice every year is supposed to do . . . something? Must be magic because it sure will not be gravity.

The solar system crossing the central plane of the galaxy, when we don't actually know where that is?

Aliens invade (no, not the annunaki)?

Prophecies that the Maya didn't make will be fulfilled?

Prophecies that the old French faker Nostradamus didn't make will be fulfilled?

The people behind this are scammers after your money for a worthless book, you as an audience of a radio or TV show or your clicks on a web site which mainly advertises other fraudulent material and fake science, fake religion and fake medicine.

• 9 years ago

The Big 2012 Hoax (the doomsday prediction for December 21, 2012) is just a re-run of the Planet-X hoax (the end of the world on May 13, 2003).

Not to be confused with the end of the world of December 12, 2012 (yes, 12, not 21), which is a re-run of the September 9, 2009 end of the world (itself a re-run of June 6, 2006).

The Big 2012 Hoax is, in fact, a rerun of the 2003 end-of-the-world PLUS a collection of much older hoaxes, lies and stories. It contains, for example, the "planetary alignment" hoax called "The Jupiter Effect" which had been invented in 1974, for the planetary alignment of March 1982. The planetary alignment did happen (for real) but, apparently, the world failed to end. There is no planetary alignment in December 2012.

It also contains the "end of the Mayan calendar", a lie invented in 1987 (by José Argüelles, a self-proclaimed reincarnated Mayan God -- even though some of us still remember that he was really from Minnesota). The Mayan calendar he described really did exist, but it does not end (it is only a day-count calendar). It could not end even if it tried.

-----

I game mike a thumbs-up on your behalf.

• 9 years ago

<QUOTE>Do you believe 21, dec, 2012 is the end of the world?</QUOTE>

As much as I believed that March 15th, May 22nd, September 26th and October 23rd, all of the year 2011, were the end of the world.

Although I'm surprised you've already forgot about those, it should be telling at how fast you'll forget about December 21st, 2012 once you get to 2013. And then you'll get freaked all over again when the next scare date comes.

Pay attention to your science classes. Consider it an innoculation against the scares of pseudoscience con artists, because beyond letting you know how the world works, a science literacy teaches you how to think and spot inconsistencies in those kooks' arguments.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

No, that is a quite silly hoax. There have n been hundreds of these end of the world hoaxes every few years for centuries. There will probably be a new one that claims the world will end in 2015-2021 when this one fails.

• 9 years ago

It is all a great big stupid hoax that was restarted by that awful fictional 2012 movie and its promo. Before the movie, whack-jobs have been wrongly predicting the end of the world throughout much of human history.

Every new alarmist idea this 2012 hoax has spawned into itself is utter malarkey.

http://chainsmashers.mixxt.com/networks/blog/post....

• 9 years ago

I used to believe in 2012.. but then I realized Santa Claus wasn't real.

I now see the world in a new light.

• hadad
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I under no circumstances believed the international will bring about 2012. it is a nicely ordinary and nicely refuted hoax. in truth i do not recognize one genuine existence human being who ought to admit to believing it. it type of feels to be in straightforward words an information superhighway hoax.

• 9 years ago

Nothing is going to happen in 21/12/12 I don't believe in that :)

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

You are correct! It is certainly a hoax.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.