Haru asked in Social SciencePsychology · 8 years ago

Is Multiple Personality Disorder a real thing?

I've been told by a friend of mine that was taking phychology classes it isn't but I want to be sure.

Favorite Answer

Uh, yes, it is, actually, but technically it's called Disassociative Identity Disorder. Though it's much rarer and not as played up as they make it in the movies.

However, this girl's professor could be one who doesn't believe it's an actual disorder. While most experts agree that it is, indeed, a real mental problem, a small fraction choose to believe otherwise, for some reason.

Just more proof that one should always check multiple sources and form their opinion based on that rather than taking people's words at face value, even if they are a professor... that goes for you, too. Don't just take Yahoo answers as truth. Go ahead and look it up yourself, if you find time.

As real as a broken leg.

Good Luck.

Best Wishes.

Mars Mission Soon In A Galaxy Near Yours..

Source(s):

Studies..

Yes. I've seem that sucker in action before in all of it's glory. The person's eyes would seem to go black and there was a sense of all the air being sucked out of the room. The change would be 'profound". Very eerie when you realize it's happening right in front of you.

Um I took psychology and its both, you cannot prove anything in psychology and you cant disprove it, I supposed they believe Freud too but you cannot disprove him anything that has to do with the mind cannot be proven if disproved.

People who have DID (the appropriate term) are said to develop it in childhood as a defense mechanism like when I child is abused the other personality is said to "come out" and protect the host.

Once again its real and its not, but you can never prove it.

Source(s): Psychology was my favorite class

Of course it is. Watch this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4i9Ya10Kqg

Youtube thumbnail