Tom asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 8 years ago

What is the most important number in survival?

My survival instructor asked this. I have no idea what the answer would be. Please help.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • chris
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If you take my course there are several totaling ten.

1. Navigation. very first thing on my list if you know where you are and how to get back the rest is a piece of cake

2.Protection from the extremes of weather. For example you can only survive in the xtreme heat or cold for 3 hours with out it. maybe even less

3.Water- gotta have it as above 3 hours tops in the heat with out it

4. Light. nigh time sucks with out it and as a signal source at night it could save your life.

5. First aid preparedness. Cut a hole and need to cork it? a band-aid works real good duct tape works even better well knowing how to tell the difference will also save your life.

6. A way to make fire. see #2

7. tools. A good knife is handy a multi tool is even better.

8. Food. You need to eat to survive if you didn't bring any you better know what to look for.

9. Shelter- see #2 getting out of the extremes well give you great comfort and aid in your survival time

10. Communication. In this modern age of tech a cell phone can link you up almost anywhere a satalite phone has unlimited range of rescue. A GPS tracking device can pinpont where your body lays should the enevitable happen. Telling folks the who what where when and how of your adventure gives them a clue to where to start looking for your body. Don't end up a statistic like the guy that went "into the wilds".

Basiclly the key number is 3,

3 minutes with out air

3 hours exposed to the elements

3 days with out water

3 weeks with out food

And for the weak of mind 3 months with out contact you lose your hope.

• 8 years ago

Again, three, and again, for yet another reason.

The "Rule of threes":

ALWAYS have THREE ways to perform any critical task:

1) Firemaking (3 ways)

2) Water purification (3 ways)

3) Food procurement (3 ways)

4) Shelter construction (3 ways)

Because you can be an optimist by attitude all you want, but natural laws have no pity, so have a backup plan. It is generally understood that double redundancy (Fail Operative, Fail Safe) is appropriate for critical functions.

Rule of Threes.

So it looks like 3 shall be the number, and the number shall be three.

• 8 years ago

Hahaha.

A simple search would do it or reading some of the many survival books out there like the one by Lofty SAS books.

Here's a link:

http://www.adventuresurvival.com/2008/how-to-survi...

• Greg
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Rule of 3 is correct, but not for the reason previously stated.

In any extreme situation you cannot survive for more than:

3 minutes without air - 3 hours without shelter

3 days without water - 3 weeks without food.

These are only rough estimates, but help you to put survival needs in priority:

air, shelter, water, food

When having to chose between these things, go for the one that you need the most. Note, the 3 hours without shelter assumes that you are exposed and losing body heat or baking in the sun. You may survive much longer than 3 hours in temperate areas without shelter, but in many situations, you are in big trouble when night falls.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • gory
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

i decide on happiness, and a gamble at added happiness, in selection to oblivion. you prefer to proceed with existence fairly than take the ordinary selection daily. i do no longer think of all and sundry out right here CAN inform you why you're making that selection. in ordinary terms you stand a gamble of figuring that out. (and that i wish you nevertheless adhere with that selection)

• Mr.357
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

3. 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without heat, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food and you are probably dead.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

One as in self sufficient. You need to plan on being able to survive on your own.

• 8 years ago

I believe it would be three. Three of anything (gunshots, mirror flashes, etc.) is the universal sign of distress.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

You can depend on exactly 0 help. You're on your own and train accordingly.

• 8 years ago

Maintaining core body temperature is what all your survival efforts are geared toward.

http://www.amazon.com/98-6-Degrees-Keeping-Your-Al...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.