Will soaking jeans in vinegar overnight help preserve it's color during washes?

I heard that about soaking brand new jeans. But I washed these jeans at least once, so will it work? And I will hang my jeans as well. Also if I add vinegar in the rinse cycle which I want to try for extra clean will it damage the jeans over time?

• Anne M
    Favorite Answer

Yes. Soak with 1/3 white vinegar and 3 parts water or with a cup of salt in a bucket of water. Either works well to "set" the fabric dye in jeans.

To keep them from fading in subsequent laundering, wash them inside out in cold or just warm water and 1/3 cup white vinegar to the wash and rinse cycle.

There will be no vinegar smell when the clothes are dry.

I didn't look that up, but it sounds familiar! They may hold that vinegar smell...

What I was going to suggest is one of the detergents made for dark clothes. I think one is made by Woolite. Use it exclusively for your dark jeans, etc.

Apparently yes. I was surprised to read how amazing vinegar is. Not only for clothes but almost everything. I found this lnk. Scoll all the way down to get to the clothes part.

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/homemaking/vinega...

Soaking in Salt will make colour hold longer, just soak for few hours