Me
Me asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 7 years ago

is non refrigerated tofu "real" tofu...?

I've only bought tofu that was sold in a refrigerated section, but yesterday I bought "shelf-stable tofu" and when I got home, the box said it's made of real soybean curds, congealers are added, its all poured into the plastic, and then it turns into tofu right in the bag. ?? What?

Is this real tofu? Its all my grocery has, but it just seems fake, and let's face it, tofu for beginners is hard to hack anyway...I mean cook..."real" tofu is sorta tricky.

Has anyone ever used this stuff before and does it cook and taste the same?

Lol, that chicken's lookin' might good right about now...hmmph...thought vegans gave a sh*t.

• Akash
    Favorite Answer

Don't consume tofu as its very controversial food. Studies have shown that it lowers testosterone levels in males. Also, Soy beans are naturally toxic to humans, but they're harmless when they go through a fermentation process, which is how we get tofu.

But soy is being used in more and more things these days. Just look through your cabinet. You'll be surprised.

Anyway, most companies aren't putting their soy beans through this process because it takes too much time, and time = money.

Instead, they put it through a chemical process, but this rarely gets rid of the soy's toxicity completely.

Symptoms of a high soy diet are thyroid problems, breast cancer, and other complications.

People get these symptoms because the soy they eat isn't fermented.