I have an FX p-7805u laptop and a Dell E11511FP PC monitor that I am trying to connect to my laptop.?

The very first time I plugged in to the external monitor, I used the Fn key and F4 to allow the monitor to show, and it worked fine. However, trying to adjust the image, I changed to a lower resolution on the display settings for the external monitor, that is when my problems started. Now, whenever I try to connect... show more The very first time I plugged in to the external monitor, I used the Fn key and F4 to allow the monitor to show, and it worked fine. However, trying to adjust the image, I changed to a lower resolution on the display settings for the external monitor, that is when my problems started. Now, whenever I try to connect my laptop to my external monitor their is no picture on the external monitor (only black). It does seem like the external monitor is connecting but nothing is showing. When I try to change my display settings back to the higher resolution that the external monitor previously had (before I messed with it) my laptop freezes and goes dark. Then I have to hold the power button down and force shut down, and restart it so I can have use of my laptop again.