My GSD has Malassezia Seborrheic dermatitis with Atophy (dust allergy)?

My Gsd, had been starved, tied up and beaten for her first 9 months of life before coming to me at 10 months. She is now 3yrs old. My dog smelt mousey, itched alot and had skin lesions. Vet did skin tests, this showed the above skin condition caused by yeast. The tests for allergy didn't show a food allergy,... show more My Gsd, had been starved, tied up and beaten for her first 9 months of life before coming to me at 10 months. She is now 3yrs old. My dog smelt mousey, itched alot and had skin lesions. Vet did skin tests, this showed the above skin condition caused by yeast. The tests for allergy didn't show a food allergy, instead an allergy to dust and house mites.

After a year of detoxing my dog internally on brown rice and meat and twice weekly baths with Malaseb shampoo for 1 year. The yeast problem was treated, her skin is great, however under her chin remains itchy. I have tried most foods for my dog avoiding wheat, wheat gluten and potato as it has to be sweet potato for a dog with this condition. Prevention is the key to keeping it away. Humidity changes aggravate my dogs skin as the yeast is a micro orgnasim that lives in the gut hence the need to avoid foods with ingredients that would feed yeast in the gut.

My question is this : Are the expensive dog foods that claim to be hypoallengenic really that good for dogs? I have tried my GSD on Arden Grange, Vitalin sensetive, Burns, Nutrix petfoods, James well beloved, Nature diet, Royal Canin German Shepherd 24 and a few others. I am now just at the end of a bag of Applaws cereal and grain free dryfood that I mix with half a pouch of Wainwrights so my dog will eat it. This food retails at £54.00. This is too expensive for me to keep buying. The foods I have given my dog all say they are wheat, wheat/gluten free, free from diary, soys, pork, corn basically all the ingredients known to cause problems in dogs.

I feel I have wasted money buying the foods as my dog hasn't liked most of them (hence I had to mix all of them with meat/food pouch) to get my dog to eat them. My dog has never ceased to rub her chin on the floor, on the chairs. None of them shinned my dogs coat, rather the salmon oil I add to the food does that.

My Dog doesn't have a food allergy, she has a immune system problem that makes her prone to changes internally when humidity changes occur. I still bath her once a month in Malaseb shampoo as humidity is her enemy.

So it looks like the dog food industry is making a lot of money creating hypoallengenic dog foods yet at the end of the day genetics play a big part in your dogs health and life span. This dog I have acquired this immune disorder due to being starved as a puppy, this weakened her immune system and made her allergic to dust, for that she takes allergy tablets.

I am just about to try my dog on skinners field and track salmon dry food with low protien and because it's wheat, gluten, dairy, soya, e.t.c free It's also affordable, I will have to mix that with half a food pouch of wainwrights otherwise she won't eat it. My dog isn't a fussy eater, I am a frustrated dog owner that has bought into the hype surrounding hypoallengenic dog food that I feel have made no difference to my dogs health or coat. There is no way I could afford the 5 star dog foods.

So if I downgrade to skinners salmon dry food will I really be putting her health at risk? Are dry foods best for your dog when most of them have added herbs and other things to preserve them?