Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
Lv 4
? asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

How come my dog doesn't get sick when he eats chocolate?

He is a basset hound/blue tick mix. I noticed it when I was still in high school. When our neighbors baked us some chocolate cupcakes he jumped up and ate the entire plate. I expected him to get sick but no. He just ran back into the yard and played on. Now that i'm out of the house when my dad comes over if he is eating a chocolate bar which is about every hour he gives my dog the last bite. My dog loves this. Anything sweet he wants he loves syrup after he licked some up off the floor. The only thing he likes more is bread. Why doesn't eating chocolate seem to make him sick at all.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Doesn't sound like he's getting enough of it at any one time. But, that's still a very irresponsible thing to do. You could also give him a little lick of arsenic every day and that may not make him sick either - doesn't mean it's a good thing to do. Why would you do that.

    Chocolate is NOT good for dogs - period. So why give him anything that is not good for him? You can also let you dog run at large - who knows he might come back; many do. Or he could get hit by a car, or get lost, or get stolen, etc.

    You're playing with fire here. Only problem is that your dog will be the one to get burned.

  • 6 years ago

    I came home one day to discover that my collie/golden retriever mix had eaten an entire bag of fun size snicker bars, it didn't even give her diarrhea, she was completely fine. This was not long after we got her when she was about a year old. Chocolate was her absolute favorite treat and never once did it cause any sort of stomach problems. My parents had a poodle that ate malted milk chocolate balls as a treat it's entire life with no negative reaction either. I believe chocolate is more of a common allergy for dogs, like peanuts for humans. A lot of people have severe allergies and can die from eating peanuts, but those of those who don't, eat it and love it. Some of the answers on this post are absolutely ridiculous, I bet they believe and live in fear of everything they read and hear. My mom's dog lived until he was 20 years old and my beautiful girl lived until she was just shy of 20 years, a life full of love, adventure and sweet chocolate treats!

  • 9 years ago

    If it's low quality chocolate, like some things, then it won't effect them as much, but giving your dog chocolate continuously is a terrible idea. It's like your trying to kill your dog.

  • 9 years ago

    don't feed him chocolate it is not good for him but dogs do not always get sick from eating chocolate there is not a lot of chocolate in the muffins dark is a lot worse

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    He's just really used to it, one Time in okay but lots of times is not u may be damaging his body, but he doesnt understand so he keeps eating it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.