Is there anyone left in the media who applies journalism ethics and standards to their work?

Code of ethics: Truthfulness, accuracy and objectivity.

Anyone at all?

Favorite Answer

I agree, where are todays Murrows and Cronkites??

Todays newscasters are just corporate paid actors and drama queens with an agenda.

The good ones died out with the likes of North Dakota native Eric Severied.

RScott

I give you Nancy Grace as a prime example.

News is a business, and it's very competitive. You might have ten video crews at a crime scene, or a disaster, and each one is trying to get a leg up on the others, and get the story out first. That Aurora slaughter a couple of weeks ago is another example - the body count seemed to change every five minutes.

I can't think of a journalist these days in the US that qualifies on your ethics. There are a few true journalists in Canada at the CBC - many of them have turned down lucrative offers from US networks partly because of journalistic standards. Both Morley Safer and Peter Jennings started their careers at the CBC.

It's the networks that set the standards - and the bottom line of a ledger is their standard.

• Mack

The National Enquirer has set a new standard.

Selling copy is priority over the Code of Ethics. New code is convict in print before the trial.

• Not anymore - they all doctor their stories to try and out do the other guy for ratings and newspaper sales. They all inject their personal opinions into their work as well which makes it hard to be ethical and impossible to be objective.

The media is my pet peeve now days. Instead of being the watch dogs they used to be now they spend their time pushing their own agendas on us.

Sadly, there seems few left. The relentless pressure to make a profit as print news circulation drops and cable news competition heats up seems to be driving real journalism out of the spotlight. NPR is about all I trust anymore these days.

But FOX News is Fair and Balanced. They even make sure to remind us of that fact.

Tofu is right, NPR is really the only American news service I generally trust. Although the BBC radio is pretty good too, if you don't mind hourly cricket updates.

And Aljazeera English has really impressed me over the past couple of years with their coverage of the "Arab Spring." They do have a bit of a bias in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, but in everything else they've modeled themselves quite admirably after the BBC.

• Sara

My mother was a journalist and many years after she retired she and I were watching a particularly biased newscaster on TV. She turned to me and said, "You know in my day we weren't allowed to have an opinion. It was just the straight facts and nothing else."

lol no. people arent like they used to be. people arent people anymore. this is the age we live in now.

No time for that silly stuff these days!

cmon you get real