What do you know about alternative medicine?

Homeopathy

Favorite Answer

Gary...damn you. Someone else likes Tim Minchin I see.....

Alternative medicine, by definition, has either been not proved to work, or been proved not to work. What do you call alternative medicine that works? Medicine.

Source(s): Science. And Tim Minchin's "Storm"
  • Gary K

It's only 'alternative' because it hasn't been proved to work - or it's been proved not to work. Medicine that works is called medicine.

Homeopathy is a classic case in point. In over 200 years and hundreds of studies it has never been proved to work beyond placebo for any condition. Never. Not surprising when you consider it is nothing but plain water or sugar pills - no active ingredients.

Homeopathy is based on false premises; 'like cures like' and the more you dilute something the stronger its effects become. Both demonstrably wrong.

The NCCAM (National Center for Complementary and alternative Medicines) recently spent over 2.5 billion dollars and 10 years researching alternative medicine cures. The results?

Read about it here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31190909

I know people who swear by it, and people who think its garbage. I personally dont depend 100% on it, but I believe it does help certain things.