How has Casinos influenced your life?

Favorite Answer

Casinos have changed my life A lot, in some ways good, others bad.

The art of advantage gambling has taken my mind and warped it into a non-emotional machine that feels nothign about random events, while most people sit eagerly and await their fate, my mind no longer shows that emotion and immediately accepts the outcome. The problem with this, is that it also applies to everyday events like getting a speeding ticket, or getting injured, my mind views it as the outcome of an unlikely event that was possible to occur when i entered the bet of "waking up this morning" Basically, I have become less emotional about many things.

The value of the dollar is sometimes warped far out of proportion, I find myself spending money on things that i really shouldnt be buying, maybe because i have the money, but my decision to purchase is greatly effected i feel by the fact that I always handle large amounts of cash.

I look down upon people that gamble unprofessionally, its somehow worked its way to the back of my head that when i see somebody playing a slot machine or beting on roullette, i look down on them as an inferior person.

They have made me into a better buisness person by being able to incorperate risk factors into purchase descisions and cost analisis.

They have spoiled my sense of taste through the comped meals that i get on a regular basis at incredibly primo restraunts.

They have provided me with substinance of food, money, clothing, shelter, entertainment, and booze for years.

I would assume i could get a job at any casino which is good.

Source(s): Professional Gambler

I have just started going to casinos last year, as I just turned legal age last year. Oh, sure, I may have gone to the buffet or something with family. But i mean actually playing the games.

Here is what I feel it may have done for me.

1.) Caused me to start reading again.

2.) Taught me that most casino games suck and to really not kid myself into playing them.

3.) Gotten a bit of an understanding with my uncles and aunts.

4.) Lost A LOT of money, although I am relieved to know that I quit spending frivilously before that amounted to anything more than less spending money.

5.) Free buffers, free drinks, free money. Aka repaying my lost money.

6.) At the end of the day, some VERY expensive entertainment.

• Martin

It's taught me countless life lessons, I'd elaborate but it's late and I'm tired. If you want to see what I mean, look at this: http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/issue33/sklansk... -- it's just about poker as that's what I mostly play.

I'm an -EV player (crushing home games doesn't count), but it's not a bad thing (it's not my job, and I'm okay with that). I've learned so much from that game, way more than what any school teacher ever taught me, at least about things that matter, matter in life, my life.

The biggest thing I can say is always go with your gut, even if you're wrong, it's a good thing because you're training your gut to be right in the future. This is important for absolutely everything in life, and sometimes it can even save your life. Every time I call when I "know" I'm beat, it reminds me to trust my self, and gives me a harsh punishment to make sure I remember it for a long time.

Poker -- it's a beautiful game.

No major impact. I view and treat casinos as a source of entertainment. I'll go about 4 or 5 times a year and each time I bring money that I can afford to lose. If I win...great. If I lose...oh well. But even if I lose, my bills are still paid, my fridge still has food, and there is still fuel in my car.

• ?

Gives me something to do when I venture to Mississippi.