Help with summer reading project (what book to choose)?!?!?

I have to do a summer reading project. The book has to have at least 175 pages. Can't have a movie version of it. And has to be written by a contemporary or classic British author.

Like:

Douglas Adams

Kingsley Amis

Martin Amis

Anthony Burgess

Angela Carter

Roald Dahl (no children’s books)

James Herriot

Jan Morris

Iris Murdoch

V. S. Naipaul

Mervyn Peake

Anthony Powell

Alan Sillitoe

Muriel Spark

Jane Austen

Anne, Charlotte, or Emily Bronte

Joseph Conrad (no Heart of Darkness)

Agatha Christie

Charles Dickens

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

George Eliott

E.M. Forster

Thomas Hardy

Rudyard Kipling

James Joyce

George Orwell (not Animal Farm)

H.G. Wells

Virginia Woolf

What are some interesting books that meet these standards?! 10 points! Thanks!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

On a more contemporary note, Douglas Adams is fairly easy to read and hilarious to boot. I would highly recommend anything by him because it would take a very special person to find his writing dull.

Terry Pratchett is also a contemporary British author who is very funny, with dozens of fantasy novels to choose from to cater to your taste, be it for mystery, suspense, drama, whatever. They've also got hidden depths to them that you can explore - he often explores humanist themes in his writing that will give you plenty to write about for your project. Even if you don't use them for your project, you should definitely read them as they are absolutely fantastic.

• Login to reply the answers
  • rheam
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Read The Absolutely True Story Of A Part Time Indian, by means of Sherman Alexie. It's a outstanding booklet and can you lots and lots to speak approximately within the document and in school. It's this kind of individual booklet that in the event you select one other in your venture, learn this one besides, adequate? Additional - I must factor out, the creator founded this booklet on his possess studies as a youngster on an Indian Reservation, then of residing of the Reservation however attending prime university on the neighborhood 'white' university. You do not a lot more useful than what this men writes approximately!

• 8 years ago

I always enjoyed books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, H.G. Wells, and E.M. Forster, but I'm a 61 year old male American, so your tastes may be different from mine.

v

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Absolutely ANYTHING Charles Dickens.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.