Resources for teaching preschoolers to read?

I'm a SAHM who is homeschooling her preschoolers (2.5 year old twins) and we know our letters and letter sounds and a few sight words, and are looking for resources and tips for continuing our reading lessons.

I haven't had a lot of luck with advice from yahoo answers on this, so after spending some time googling it, have ordered "The Reading Lesson: Teach Your Child to Read in 20 Easy Lessons" book. Anyone else used this or have any other resources for teaching young children to read? We are working some on sounding out words now, but I don't know if there is a best way to do that, so even if your advice is to sound out words and how you do that it would be helpful.

If you think they are too young to be taught to read: My guys enjoy our educational time, it gives us some planned time together that is close and intimate. It also gives us a preschool like atmosphere for part of the day, important because my children will not be going to preschool until at least age 4, and perhaps just start school at kindergarten. They also are read to at least twice a day, and have time to enjoy looking at their many books on their own before and after nap. We go on outings twice a day (to places like the YMCA, the zoo, playground, pool, playdates, library storytimes, gardens, museums etc) and they have 2 hours of daily free play time while I clean. With 11 hours a day of wake time we have plenty of time to spend 30 minutes a day or so learning to read, and it helps to fill our time productively.

I don't want to use Starfall or another online program because I don't yet let my guys handle the computer. We only have the one desktop, and I have twins, so it just would really be a problem.

• Jenny
    Favorite Answer

If you have to "teach" your children how to read, you best stick to sight words at that age. I know a few children who learned how to read when they were 2 and 3 but they all learned how to read on their own. They didn't have to be "taught". Neither of my kids picked up reading on their own, even though both of them are considered "gifted". Because they are in the school's gifted program, I had the opportunity to meet kids who were exceptionally early readers. Their parents told me that they were reading books to them and suddenly the kids were reading the books by themselves. All parents initially thought that their child had just memorized the books until the child picked up a book they had never read and was able to read it.

Anyway, I'd use flashcard (short words with a picture of the item) and then read books that contain these words and have the child point the words out. As soon as the kids know enough words, you can get those "read together" books from the library. One side has simple short texts for the child to read, the other is longer with more difficult words for the adult, so the child and the adult take turns reading the story out loud.

• ?

My son loves reading because he loves spelling. He likes magnetic letters. At 2 and half he was reading (not because I was teaching him, he just taught himself) so while I was cooking, he would stand in the kitchen and I'd tell him what to spell and he spelled it. He also likes playing the game "what starts with..." so I pick a theme and then say "what _animal_ starts with B" and he lists some and then spells them. These are 2 of his favourite games. Also, there is countless research that says reading to children helps them learn to read.

I never spent intensive time trying to teach young children to read because I know that you can make "learning to read" take 3 years, or you can make it take 2 days if you do when the child is ready. Personally I'd go with 2 days. But hey, if you're bored, you might as well make it take 3 years, right? But because I'm like that, I don't know of any "programs".

If you intend to teach your son or daughter easily how to read then Children Learning Reading from here https://tr.im/9v8Oy may help you.

Children Learning Reading is produced by short instructions, enough to put up the interest course of a tiny child but can be successful enough to instruct the little one to read — even at an extremely early age.

This program relies about a principle called phonemes, which are (in very simple terms), the looks which make up phrases we use in our daily language. This program seeks to show your child to read by first gathering your child's power to see and realize the phonemes that make up daily words. After your youngster may try this then they've all the various tools they need to start making sense of new phrases, that'll subsequently make their examining abilities stronger and stronger.

At 2 1/2 just reading to them is helping them to read. Get books with big words and point to the words as you say them.

*ETA

The best way for pre-schoolers to learn is through play also. Make a game out of sounding out signs you see when you're out during the day.

The best thing you can do in helping your kids to read is to read to them, which it sounds like you already do. You say you don't want to use Starfall, but I don't understand why they can't take turns? Sure, they're only 2-1/2, but Starfall has it set up so that the progression in reading is very straightforward and they read little stories that follow spelling patterns to teach them basic reading and sounding out. It's very helpful. I have used Hooked on Phonics, which I know has gotten a bad rap, but it is very effective for beginning reading and phonics. Sight words are important, but for beginning reading, they need to be able to sound out words too.

You also say, defensively, that we might think they are too young to be taught to read. I think that there is no reason to push it until they show definite interest and start picking it up on their own. Any child who is that interested in reading WILL pick it up on their own simply by being read to a lot. If they aren't interested, no pushing it on them will help. In fact, it can be detrimental and many kids who are forced to start learning to read too young end up falling behind in school because they are burned out by the time they start school. Learning to read is a pretty natural process if you just read to them and make their world word-rich. It just shouldn't be forced, no matter how academic they are.

Source(s): Former elementary school teacher and I taught my own children preschool and how to read.