Private pilots license with multi-engine?

I am about to become a private pilot, but if I wanted to fly multi engine planes can I go straight into multi engine training or would I need another certificate too?

• John R
    Best Answer

You can, but it will be of little or no value to you.

You will find that no one will rent you a twin for solo until you have racked up a lot more time ( 500 hours PIC and 25 to 50 hours in the type you want to rent, and an instrument rating is not a uncommon set of requirements).

Even if you buy a twin, the insurance company will insist on an instrument rating and more time as PIC before you can get coverage.

Few people spend the money on a twin to just go for sightseeing on nice weekends, they are normally used to go from point A to point B, and there is almost always weather between A and B. Get your instrument rating first - it's far more important from a safety stand point, and better use of your time and money at this point.

Source(s): Private Pilot, SEL, SES, MEL, instrument Airplane.
  • JetDoc

Certainly you could do that, but why spend more than twice the cost of a single engine trainer just to putt around the airport landing pattern shooting touch-and-goes. Your first 50-60 hours of flight training is just basic airmanship and no need for the added expense or complication of a multi-engine aircraft.

Once you have obtained your private pilot's license and are ready to move up to more complex and high-performance aircraft you can think about getting a multi-engine certification.

At least 3 of the answers to this quesion are wrong! You can NOT train on a multi engine aircraft if you haven't got a pilot's license first!

Source(s): My own PPL training.

Yes, you can go straight into multi-engine training after earning your Private Pilot certificate if you wish, but I highly recommend that you earn the high-performance (200+ horsepower) and complex aircraft (controllable propeller and retractable landing gear) endorsements for single engine aircraft first. This will make the transition to multi-engine flying easier.

multi is a separate rating. ppl is a prerequisite. around here most flying schools (including the one i attend) use piper senecas for multi training.

i plan to do my night rating (a separate rating in canada) and instrument rating first. no point in learning to fly a plane that can cruise at 20000 feet if i'm not allowed to fly that high...

why do you want to do this? single engine planes are expensive toys. the cost to run a multi-engine plane is just plain scary.

later: start with the fuel costs. i flew a cherokee yesterday and planned 65% power, 7.3 gallons per hour. at 65% power a seneca burns 18.3 gallons per hour. though it's going a lot faster while it's sucking down the 100ll.

Source(s): piper cherokee poh piper seneca poh

Warren, you have those form of score yet you do not understand what ATPL stands for as asked interior the question under? truthfully I truthfully have a tricky time believing you have any of the rankings on your question. yet in case i'm thoroughly incorrect and you're being honest, i've got confidence at this factor you is easily not waiting to land a job with an airline. Too many applicants with extra adventure than you for too few openings. some airlines have furloughed pilots. As to different piloting jobs, lower back it is the place I truthfully have a tricky time believing you. Why ask in this constrained question and answer talk board particularly than ask on a talk board committed to the flying expert? you may desire to understand a thank you to look for jobs on your profession. you have spent hundreds of greenbacks allegedly earning those licenses and score. yet you come lower back here particularly than look for artwork without postpone with the airlines? difficult to have confidence your tale. Sorry.