You judge a society by how it treats its weakest members --- Based in this how do you judge your society?

This has been stated in several ways for over 100 years by various indiviuals, including (but not limited to) Churchill, Pope John Paul II, Dostoyevsky, Truman, etc. Very recently by Cardinal Roger Mahony (1998): "Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members ;... show more This has been stated in several ways for over 100 years by various indiviuals, including (but not limited to) Churchill, Pope John Paul II, Dostoyevsky, Truman, etc.

Very recently by Cardinal Roger Mahony (1998):

"Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members ; the last, the least, the littlest."

And perhaps most dubiously attributed to Ghandi:

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "

The original author of this quotation seems to have been lost.
-----

It is from the Bible, Jesus:

Matthew 25:41-46 (New International Version (English Translation))

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_said_A_society_is_measured_by_how_it_treats_its_weakest_members#ixzz23gAVSL1V
Update: Srq As a heathen pagan polytheist I hate it when Catholics use my questions to grand stand for a church that protects child molesting scum hides the literature of the world in a vault and does nothing but diminish the society as a whole Try answering the question without the grand standing if your programed... show more Srq

As a heathen pagan polytheist I hate it when Catholics use my questions to grand stand for a church that protects child molesting scum hides the literature of the world in a vault and does nothing but diminish the society as a whole

Try answering the question without the grand standing if your programed little roman a--s is capable of such a thing