Violation of Informed Consent?

I went to the ER for abdominal pain. I hadn't had a bowel movement in 2 weeks. I was given Toradol first, and when that didn't work, dilaudid. He told me it looks like my colon wasn't working. The bag enema did not work at all. I had CTs that he said just showed a lot of stool and he was going to... show more I went to the ER for abdominal pain. I hadn't had a bowel movement in 2 weeks. I was given Toradol first, and when that didn't work, dilaudid. He told me it looks like my colon wasn't working. The bag enema did not work at all. I had CTs that he said just showed a lot of stool and he was going to discharge me. During the CT with contrast, I got severe abdominal pain. I was in tears. Never cried in pain before. Told him pain was a 10. He still was going to send me home. He said he would do another enema or have me drink magnesium citrate. I begged for pain relief. He said he would only give more Toradol. I was fine with that. I had also told him he was full of crap. He said, "Oh really? Whatever ma'am." When the nurse comes in she begins to put meds in my IV. I asked what it was as she was doing it. I had assumed it was Toradol. She said naloxone. I asked what kind of side effects. She said "there arent' any." A few seconds later I had this terrible burning all over my body and was very scared. She had just walked out of the room. Then I have to run across the hallway to the bathroom. I have liquid diarrhea. Get back to my room and she already has the discharge paperwork. I had severe diarrhea ALL night and for 2 more days. Very dehydrated. I called ER manager and she said the medication is also known as Narcan. I knew what that was. I'm an EMT. I was alert and don't take any narcotics. ER manager said she has never seen Narcan given for somebody with constipation. I know have terrible anxiety and can't sleep. My abdominal pain persists. Did the nurse violate informed consent by not informing me of the medicine and lied about side effects and because she was giving the med before explaining the med? I was never observed for side effects and my pulse was 119. My WBC count was 11.4. I was still sent home in pain and not knowing what was wrong. Can I sue doctor for giving Narcan when it wasn't indicated? For purposely causing pain? And for reversing my pain relief from earlier in the day? Narcan reverses the effect of narcotics and removes any pain relief.
5 answers 5