Violation of Informed Consent?

I went to the ER for abdominal pain. I hadn't had a bowel movement in 2 weeks. I was given Toradol first, and when that didn't work, dilaudid. He told me it looks like my colon wasn't working. The bag enema did not work at all. I had CTs that he said just showed a lot of stool and he was going to discharge me. During the CT with contrast, I got severe abdominal pain. I was in tears. Never cried in pain before. Told him pain was a 10. He still was going to send me home. He said he would do another enema or have me drink magnesium citrate. I begged for pain relief. He said he would only give more Toradol. I was fine with that. I had also told him he was full of crap. He said, "Oh really? Whatever ma'am." When the nurse comes in she begins to put meds in my IV. I asked what it was as she was doing it. I had assumed it was Toradol. She said naloxone. I asked what kind of side effects. She said "there arent' any." A few seconds later I had this terrible burning all over my body and was very scared. She had just walked out of the room. Then I have to run across the hallway to the bathroom. I have liquid diarrhea. Get back to my room and she already has the discharge paperwork. I had severe diarrhea ALL night and for 2 more days. Very dehydrated. I called ER manager and she said the medication is also known as Narcan. I knew what that was. I'm an EMT. I was alert and don't take any narcotics. ER manager said she has never seen Narcan given for somebody with constipation. I know have terrible anxiety and can't sleep. My abdominal pain persists. Did the nurse violate informed consent by not informing me of the medicine and lied about side effects and because she was giving the med before explaining the med? I was never observed for side effects and my pulse was 119. My WBC count was 11.4. I was still sent home in pain and not knowing what was wrong. Can I sue doctor for giving Narcan when it wasn't indicated? For purposely causing pain? And for reversing my pain relief from earlier in the day? Narcan reverses the effect of narcotics and removes any pain relief.

Favorite Answer

REALLY????

You're an EMT and YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT DILAUDID IS?????

FAIL FAIL FAIL.

You pissed off a doctor and he had the balls to Narcan your behind.

In a word, HE GOT YOU.

You're NOT an EMT. You don't have a CLUE about ANYTHING medical from what you've written!!!!

In the ER we ONLY have to stabilize you to send you home.

An EMT would KNOW THAT. They bring us drug-seeking BS all day long.

PAIN IS NOT AN EMERGENCY.

YOU sign a form when you come into the ER stating you CONSENT TO ANY AND ALL TREATMENTS THE DOCTOR DECIDES TO ORDER.

YOU HAVE NO CASE AT ALL for violation of informed consent. Nurses DO NOT DO informed consent.

Informed consent ONLY applies to surgery, or procedures where you have to be sedated for them to be performed.

What, an EMT doesn't know how mag citrate works? That diarreah causes dehydration unless you drink fluids?

You don't know that slight tachycardia is caused by dehydration and pain? REALLY?

WBC 11.4... Completely NORMAL.

Jesus... if you're really in healthcare? Get out now before you kill someone!!

Source(s): I've seen this drama WAY TOO MANY TIMES to fall for the hype.
  • Lv 6

Unless you had severe constipation from heroin or opioid abuse, it wouldn't have made any sense to administer Naloxone into your bloodstream. I don't know the whole story, but I would definitely speak to a lawyer if you feel like you were mistreated and have a case. I wouldn't have told the doctor he was full of crap, when the opposite was literally true, you could have respectfully asked for a different doctor, so that could have been seen as verbal abuse. I don't think the doctor then purposely inflicted pain upon you because you verbally abused him, but perhaps he thought your aggression was due to opioid withdrawal, and that's what he put your condition down to, even if you didn't say it was so. If you get agitated with doctors, they usually don't take much crap, they can often have a patient sedated against their will if they're acting too aggressively. Anyway, like I said, if you feel violated from the whole incident, you could speak to a lawyer about a possible case or not.

Nalaxone doesn't actually counteract the pain-killing effects of opiods. It's routinely given in conjunction with drugs such as OxyContin to prevent constipation that opiods can cause. They probably gave you some nalaxone because they were concerned that your constipation would be increased by dilaudid.

And yes, you tend to be in quite a bit of discomfort if your bowel slows down badly and then wakes up.

Incidentally, you've been complaining about this for months. Maybe it's time to start visiting your regular doctor and getting a management plan started instead of waiting 'til you're in pain and headinformation for the ER.

Everything round is a pointer to the Almighty One. All of it is determined by your capacity to see and your wish to now not see. If someone needs to put on dark glasses or blinders and refuse to look the solar, can then you definitely blame any person if he falls in a pit? The Lord Almighty is as apparent to me as this key board in entrance of me, however I appreciate that I can not insist on seeing gravity with my own eyes. If i'd say how come gravity isn't flowing like water, which is MY desired option to see it, would you not call me requesting absurdity? Gravity can be well-known best through its effects. Equal is right for air. In a an identical manner the Lord Almighty is noticeable from all that takes situation throughout us. The entire Universe is running considering the fact that of His effulgence in each direction. K... Ok, you say, however ... Show it. Good.. Allow us to start with say the Pyramids. We all know they exist. Everyone knows they didn't occur by way of themselves. Any individual robust developed them. If we do some research, we will be able to discover that the Pharoahs developed them. If we do some extra reseach we will be able to to find the man called Moses, whose existence is confirmed via the books of Judaism which have surived over many centuries and the existence of the Jewish humans. What made Moses and his work alive and Pharoah and his works be the representatives of loss of life? I say the Lord Almighty. You do some study on Rome, which was once the Washington of an historic empire. You do more study you be taught about Jesus and how he was crucified through a Roman Governor. Then you definately go seek advice from the Vatican and do some extra study, you realise that folks who killed Jesus misplaced their vigour and Jesus now rules Rome. That to me is a proof of the Almighty. If you do some extra research and learn our Prophet of Islam. He was once a single man born at midnight ages of Arabia 1400 years ago. Do some study and you'll realize that he single handedly worn out the religion of the arabs in a mere ten years of preaching. Their religion had been in existence for a minimum of 1000 or more years. But one single man would wipe it off wholly and totally from that entire region with out killing the entire individuals who adhered to that faith, however turning them around to follow a new faith. You may also say this can be a coincidence. However, you see no other coincidences like this and the person claims he did that due to the fact of the support of the Almighty. You start to peer patterns. Even in these days in case you seem round and do some study you will see continuous proofs of the existence of the Holy One throughout you. When I wake up and appear at my face, i know this is some thing specified happening in my rest room. The leisure of the matters are not able to seem at themselves. Not the reflect, not the commode. My looking at myself is nothing in need of a miracle and a proof of the Almighty when everything around me, even the celebs and the solar and the earth are silent!! I will converse. Speak to myself, to others ... I will believe. All of this indicates me that there is any person who CARES!! Any individual who has given me with these many expertise that others amongst his creatures should not have the capability to look. It is a long winded answer, but could also be it is going to make you believe and do some study, earlier than you write off the Almighty so comfortably. If I showed you a castle developed on a hill, nicely furnished and everything. If I informed you it came about by way of itself with none deliberation, with out an architect, but say by means of the wind's influence, you might call me nuts. Would you not? How can this 23 measure tilted World that gives us season, this interaction between crops, sun and the earth and water, this synergy between the animals that survive the planet no longer make you see that if this was a coincidence, then it is way more surprising than the accident of a palace coming of its possess company on a hill? The fantastic thing about the construction is a magnetic compass which must take our attention to the creator. I hope i am making experience.

I would talk to an attorney. But U probably can't sue.