Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 7 years ago

Alice In Wonderland (Book and Movie)?

The book Alice in wonderland, by Lewis Caroll has been turned into a movie starring Johnny Depp in it. Can you please tell me some differences between the book and the 2010 movie?

• Roger
    Favorite Answer

_ALice's Adventures in Wonderland_ (1865) is a book, and so is _Through the Looking Glass_ (1872). The movie combines both book under the generic title _Alice in Wonderland._ It is a common inexactness. The books are actually quite different. "Jabberwocky" appears only in the second book.

In the book Alice is a polite, middle class child of seven (internal evidence exists to prove her age). In the film, she is old enough to receive a marriage proposal. At one point a Knave tries to seduce Alice in the film. In the book, there is not a hint of sexuality. The film leers at times.

The characters and episodes in the books are more discrete and self-contained than the film, so that the plots are differently organized.

Carroll's prose in the books is careful, orderly, precise, and measured even when it presents wildly illogical and crazy characters (which means almost everyone but Alice). The presentation of the film is not orderly and is as manic as the characters Alice encounters.

The terror associated with the Queen in _Alice's Adventures in Wonderland_ is kept at bay because, as one of the soldiers explains, "they never executes nobody anyhow." In the film the queen causes real harm. The film conflates the two queens, one from the 1865 book and the other from the 1872 story.

The Jubjub bird is frightening bird confined to a mention in the poem "Jabberwocky." In the film the bird manages to quell a revolt and is mixed up in the main plot.

The frame stories are completely different. Alice falls asleep on a river bank in _Alice's Adventures in Wonderland_ and drifts into a dream in her house while playing with kittens in _Through the Looking Glass._ Alice's parents are not mentioned in Carroll's books, and there is no hint of England as a colonial, seafaring, commercial power, as there is in the movie.

This is personal, but I feel so strongly I want to put it in. As one devoted to Lewis Carroll, his decency, politeness, and literary tact, I have to say that the film seems to me an abomination. It might be possible to like it on its own, as a film, apart from the book, but I found it such a tasteless mishmash and so stupid and so crude in its own terms, that I cannot imagine that. If there is a place in hell for people who desecrate the most precious experiences in the intellectual lives of others, Tim Burton and Johnny Depp will suffer mightily for all eternity, and they will have to find someone else to forgive them, for I won't.