Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 9 years ago

What will it be like in the UK?

ok so my parents are sending me to a boarding school in london and i'm really scared because I might not make any friends at first. How are english people over there? are they nice?

Favorite Answer

I lived in Radlett, just outside of London, for 6 months or so. It was lovely.

First, the people. They're VERY friendly. Occasionally, you meet one who doesn't realize how big the US is. In a hospice shop, my mother and I answered the "where are you from" question with "Missouri." The next question? "So what's it like living in a desert?" The impression is that between two sets of mountains, you always have desert. It was funny. They're pretty cool over there, though.

Second, dining. The Brits have some odd quirks about their food. For example, apparently sweet corn is a popular pizza topping. I only went to one buffet while I was over there, and guess what? You use the same plate for each trip. Also, don't expect a lot of ice in your drinks, and don't expect free refills. That's an American thing. If you get the chance, I highly recommend My Old Dutch. It's a little pricey, but the food's prime, if you like pancakes. They specialize in giant pancakes that are thin, like crepes. You can get them topped in savory toppings, like chicken curry, or in something sweet, like apples and cinnamon. Shopping's pretty easy. Your best bets are Tesco and Safeway.

One more thing about dining. If you're out to eat and the food's not to your liking, or your drink is not to your liking, don't be surprised if the server takes a sip or a little bite. That's considered perfectly normal. Now, I don't know how old you are, but the drinking age over there is 18. You can go into a pub younger, though. Pub is simply short for "public house," and you're likely to end up sharing a table with several locals! And that, my dear, is how you make friends. Go where the locals go. Pubs are common hangouts for families, old men, university kids, etc. They attract a wide range, and the food is some of the best you'll find.

As for travel, I suggest getting an Oyster card. It's reloadable and only allows you to spend a certain amount per day. After that, it doesn't matter how many times you use it. No more will be deducted. It's good on the trains, tube, and busses. I don't know how much experience you have with public transportation here in the States, but in the UK, busses are hop-on, hop-off, and you just pay as you go or swipe your card.

If you're not sure, get a guide book. Skip Frommer's. It's dry reading and aimed at the middle-aged crowd with big bucks to spend. Rick Steves is excellent and he's got a great sense of humor. Also, he updates EVERY YEAR. The Let's Go and Lonely Planet guides are also good, especially for the younger crowd.

Like I said, the best way to make friends is to just go where the locals go. Become a temporary local, because that's what you really are. Use Rick's back-door philosophy. Don't skip seeing some of the big tourist sights, but don't go to one just because it's famous, either. Tailor your day trips to your interests. Love Shakespeare? Stratford-upon-Avon is definitely worth it. Not big on Shakespeare but interested in the drama that was the Tudor Period? Hampton Court Palace is awesome, and they have a great hedge maze. Interested in the Victorian era? Take a day trip to Bath!

Now, the Brits can come off as a little stand-offish. They're polite. This is only until they get to know you. And the UK, especially London, has become a bit more of a melting pot. When I was there, I only had one friend who was actually from the UK. All of my other friends over there were from Italy, South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Ireland. I also had the chance to meet people from India, the Middle East, Eastern Europe, and both North and South America who had moved to the UK for one reason or another.

No worries, though, about making friends! Keep an open mind and just be yourself. You'll find that London will just open up to you, in general.

English people are very very similar to americans. If i could make friends in america, I wouldnt be worried about the UK

Source(s): lived in west london for a summer

No, there are distinctive unsolicited mail and pretend digital mail issues popping out of the united kingdom at present, many are money laundering, money order scams, and so on. the united kingdom has had incredibly some terrorist threats and moves of overdue; any construction initiatives will be on carry and the funding looked at.

• ?

Boarding Schools are mostly filled with rebellious kids who are sent their to get a stricter education

Pretty westernized just like the us

Not that different really.