Therapeutic animal in college?

I am looking at Loyola University Chicago and am trying to determine whether or not therapeutic service animals fall under their definition of disabled. I would have no problem getting a note from my psychiatrist as well as my psychologist. I have debilitating anxiety which I have been working hard to improve. One of the best strategies to avoid anxiety that I've found is the presence of an animal, distracting me and more or less communicating with me (I sound crazy but any animal lover would understand haha). I know that it would be possible for me to get a single room so a roommate wouldn't be a problem, but after reading their dorm animal regulations, do you think I'd be able to keep a cat (not kitten, declawed, neutered, and litter box trained) in my dorm room?

"No pets or animals are permitted in campus housing at any time, with the exception of (1) fish

contained in a small tank of not more than two (2) gallons; and (2) a service animal authorized

and approved by the University that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the

benefit of an individual with a disability that is directly related to that individual’s disability."

Favorite Answer

What you are describing is not a service animal. It has not been individually trained to perform specific tasks. You can certainly try invoking the Fair Housing Act and making a claim that you need an emotional support animal in order to enjoy the benefits of campus housing, and that might work, but the service animal policy is not going to be of any use to you in this case.

Just call the campus Housing Office and ask.

http://www.luc.edu/reslife/