Does practicing the guitar help teach you about a bass guitar?

My friends want me to join their band thing and I'm planning on playing the bass, but while I look for one I was going to practice a few notes on a normal guitar, so will that actually help me? Is it easy to transfer those skills to the other one? Any info would be appreciated

Favorite Answer

Yes, it is some help. Say the song was in the key of G, you could hit the open G on the bass string, you could hit the open D on the bass string, and if you know a C chord on guitar you can put your 1st finger on the 2nd fret of the A string for a C!

Source(s): I help my friend(he plays bass)

Sort of. The 4 thickest strings are an octave above the bass, but the strings and the frets essentially have the same names.

It will give you an idea of which strings/frets to play when you get a bass, but the size/spacing differential might take some getting used to when you switch over.

Source(s): Been there, done that.

definitely, every guitar player can play bass and the other way around..of course not as well as someone playin' it most of the time, a good training though