What are your opinions of Trent Reznor?

Would he be considered a god of Industrial Metal music?

Favorite Answer

Here's a funny little story about Trent Reznor...

In the 1990's, when he was riding high on his dark industrial image, he bought the house in which Sharon Tate and four others were murdered by Charles Manson's crew, and built a home studio in it. The neighbors had wanted the house torn down; it was an eyesore, and creepy sightseers kept parking on the block (a little cul-de-sac) freaking out the neighborhood. But Reznor really had his heart set on living in that house, not because it was an especially good house (it wasn't), but because it was THE house of the most notorious and symbolic act of evil in a generation.

He recorded the Downward Spiral album there, as well as the Broken EP, and Marilyn Manson's "Portrait of an American Family" album.

Shortly after wrapping up the Downward Spiral album, he happened to meet Sharon Tate's sister by chance, and talked with her. He suddenly realized he actually felt bad about living in the house, and it bugged him... He quickly sold the house to a developer, who razed it. These days, he has taken to claiming, very disingenuously, that he didn't know it was the Tate house when he bought it...

So where does that leave us with Trent? I'd say his claim to be the god of industrial ended the moment he met Sharon Tate's sister. Something warmed in his heart, and something died in his music. He was never the same again.

Reznor is certainly the biggest popularizer of industrial music, as someone who managed to have hits with it, and bring it to the masses. But I wouldn't call him a "god". A lot of more committed industrialists have kept it up much longer than he did, in relative obscurity.

• I like a majority of his music, soundtracks and NIN. His live performances are insanely energetic, if youtube is anything to go by.

He has a canny knack for writing solid pop hooks, and dirtying it to satisfy metal heads.

Also, maaaaan he got big. Compare 1990's Trent with 2010 Trent, and you wouldn't know they're the same person.

I personally admire him, but I don't know enough bout Industrial metal to really call him a God

i love trent reznor! though to call him god of industrial metal might be just a bit over the top...

i think the position for king of industrial metal is still open ;)

• ?

Hello.No most certainly not.Most of his music is keyboard orientated as he is a classically trained pianist.He was influenced by many British new wave synth style artists.Ultravox,Soft Cell .Gary Numan etc.I think he is a bit overated and not a great singer."Hurt" was a good song as we know Johnny Cash covered.He is a big Rush fan though so that's good news but no i would not call him a metal god.Cheers.

• ?

Hi B.A!

I don't know about being a God?

To me, he is an impressive musician, singer; songwriter.

Apparently, he's also a wizard in the studio too.

I really like him.

Source(s): Music lover, good luck!

I like his soundtracks, I haven't heard much of his metal.