why is reading boring?

reading

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Zarn
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Mostly because you're doing it wrong. The mechanical act of reading doesn't really bring joy in and of itself - not for most readers, at any rate - but it is WHAT you're reading that is the point. If you're reading tiny nuggets of mindless drivel, such as what one can find in some Y!A questions or answers as well as on Facebook, Twitter or what have you, then no wonder you find reading boring.

Try reading a book, and see for yourself. Depending on what interests you, and your age, you may find The Neverending Story by Michael Ende an enjoyable read. Heck, even the Harry Potter series might be something you like.

When I was younger, I was a voracious reader - sometimes finishing more than one book per day, each day and every day. Now, I doubt I read more than one book a month - and I'm missing my reading habits. I actually bought "Snuff", the Terry Pratchett book, today - and perhaps I'll read it in a day or two.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

Either your vocabulary needs improvement, or you are reading too slowly. I would suggest that you read following the words with your finger so that you do not lose your place and re-read lines twice, and that you keep your mouth closed so that your mind can read faster than oral reading speed. The more you read, the better your vocabulary will become, and the faster you read, the more it will become like watching a movie in your head. I was a slow reader in high school. This is how I read now. I used to read only 300 words a minute. I now read close to 1000 words a minute, just by closing my mouth and following the words with my finger. I also have a really good vocabulary and enjoy reading very much.

• 8 years ago

Reading used to be fun back in elementary school. Then in middle and high school, they start making you analyze it deeply and write 10 page essays on each of them. It's not that reading is boring, it's just people want to enjoy themselves without worrying about what is an important topic that's going to be on the test for this book.

• 8 years ago

Reading is boring when u couldn't understand what u are reading... Otherwise its interesting. Again reading same things many times bring boring

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Thats your opinion. Maybe you think it's boring because you would rather be doing something else. I find reading very fascinating and fun and I couldn't ask for anything better :P

• Kirsty
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Find something that you enjoy to read. There's lots of different types of book. Im sure you won't find them all boring.

• 3 years ago

It isn't when you are reading something you enjoy. Like reading in class can be boring if your not interested in the subject but if you find a genre or series you like then it's not boring.

• 4 years ago

There's no such thing as someone who dislikes reading - there are people who love reading and people who read the wrong book.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Reading is important, its healthy and develops your mind.

• 8 years ago

it's not, your just a boring, un-educated person.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.