Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

French II Pronouns y and en?

Hi!

Please help me!

Rewrite the following sentences, replacing the appropriate word or words with the pronoun y.

Tu vas voir tes amis à la fête?

Nous aimons parler français en classe.

Nous préférons faire les courses au marché.

Now, rewrite the following sentences, replacing the appropriate word or words with the pronoun en.

Nous prenons de la tarte.

On choisit des fruits et des légumes au marché en plein air.

Thank you so much. You have no idea how much this helps me.

Favorite Answer

Lupus Mortis' answers are correct. Just to help you see why though.

The pronoun "y" replaces a prepositional phrase-- a noun(s) preceded by the preposition "à" or "en." (This does not have to be a place, but remember if it's people you would use lui for singular and leur for plural). For example, "à la fête," "en classe," and "au marché" are all prepositional phrases (reminder au is a contraction of à and le). Basically what the pronoun y, as I have said, is replace one of these phrases, and if translated into English if will mean "there" or "at them" (if talking about objects). You will put the "y" before the conjugated verb in a single-verb sentence or before the last infinitive in a sentence including infinitive.

For example

"Je vais au supermarché" (I'm going to the supermarket) becomes "J'y vais" (I'm going there)

"Je vais répondre aux questions" (I am going to respond to the questions) becomes "Je vais y répondre" (I am going to respond to them)

The Pronoun en is similar to "y" except it replaces a prepositional phrase in which the preposition "de" is present. It basically will mean "some" or "about it/them" depending on context. Just like the pronoun "y" it will be placed before the conjugated verb in a single-verb sentence or before the last infinitive in a sentence including infinitive. If you have a sentence that includes both "y" and "en" replaces prepositional phrases, y comes first.

For example.

"Tout le monde parle du match" (Everyone's talking about the match) becomes "Tout le monde en parle" (Everyone's talking about it)

"Est-ce que tu manges des frites?" (Are you eating fries?) becomes "Est-ce que tu en manges?" (Are you eating some?)

Source(s): Fluent in French

Tu vas y voir tes amis?

Nous aimons y parler français.

Nous préférons y faire les courses.

Nous en prenons.

On en choisit au marché en plein air.

As you can see you put y/en just before the verb.

Such ideas might want to were lengthy previous over on your previous years of the route, even though it would not harm to study. a million) "Y" ability "there." As in, "Il y a une tasse sur l. a. table" (there's a cup on the table). "En" is used for an identical objective as "dans" in additional advantageous areas. As "en" is used, "En France, les gens parlent francais" (In France, the folk communicate French), "dans" is as used in "Le manteau est dans l'armoire" (The coat is contained in the closet). 2) "Lui" ability "him." As in, "Ce sac-a-dos est pour lui" (This backpack is for him). "Leur" is a unisex/masculine plural which ability "their." As in, "Leurs billets sont pour le nouveau movie" (Their tickets are for the recent movie). 3) you've already figured a thanks to apply "je" and a verb there. you purely use the the apostrophed " j' " in combining it with a verb that begins with a vowel. As such "j'essaie" = je + essayer = I attempt, "j'ecoute" = je + ecouter = I listen, "j'apprends" = je + apprendre = I study, "j'ouvre"= je + ouvrir = I open, and so on. at the same time as utilising a verb begins with a consonant, you do not use the apostrophe. As in, "je mange" (I devour), "je prie" (I pray), "je crois" (i believe), and so on.