J asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 9 years ago

Medi-cal is making me pay $178 a month for medical coverage, but I'm UNEMPLOYED?

I'm going to be 19 years old this month & I received a letter in the mail notifying me that as of next month Medi-Cal expects me to pay $178 a month, which I assume is what would be considered a "deductible" ?

However, I'm unemployed! I've have never been employed (currently looking), and I will be enrolling into college next Fall.

My question is: Is this legal? How can they expect me to pay for my medical bills (178 A MONTH) when I'm not even employed? I don't go to the doctors frequently & when I do it's because I'm severely sick....

You don't need to be rude about me being a welfare recipient. I didn't ask for the living conditions I WAS BORN INTO. You don't know my life, and what I've been through. Would you like me to become a stigma & follow the stereotypes....go shoot up and rob your family, become a drug dealer and sell to your children, become a prostitute, become a welfare queen & get knocked up 100s of times ensuring I get the optimum welfare benefits & systematically STEAL ALL THE TAXES FROM ALL THE HARD WORKERS OF THE COUNTRY .

IM TRYING TO MAKE A LIFE FOR MYSELF. I'M LOOKING FOR EMPLOYMENT. I'M ENROLLING IN COLLEGE & BETTERING MYSELF & TO HAVE A CAREER WHERE I IMPROVE THE LIVES OF OTHERS ON A DAILY BASIS. SO **** YOUR JUDGMENTS.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

No, you are not quite right. Your share of cost of $178 is only in those months that you want services. Not every month. But it is for each month you want medical care in you have to pay out $178 before Medi-Cal kicks in. That is because your income is too high for full Medi-Cal. Although you are unemployed, you have some kind of income or you live at home and that income counts.

Source(s): myself, Medi-Cal with share of cost

That is not what is considered a deductible. It is what would be considered a "premium" with most other insurance, and is considered "share of cost" with Medi-Cal.

You do not have to pay $178 a month. You do have another option: You can get other insurance, instead of Medi-Cal. For the majority of 19 year olds in California, the cost of getting health insurance directly from a health insurance company is much less than $178 per month, if you don't use Medi-Cal to do it.

In California, it is legal for them not to let you have Medi-Cal without paying. In most other states, it would not be legal for you to have this type of insurance, even if you did pay. In most states, it ends at age 19. There might be some state where it is legal for you to have the coverage and it is illegal for them to make you pay for it. Offhand, I cannot think of any.

• ?

Totally legal. ITs sort of like your own version of a copay. I used to pay more than $178 just for my prescriptions, and that's WITH insurance. I know its tough, and I know it seems like a lot, but you're LUCKY. Many low-income people don't qualify for Medicaid AND can't afford insurance.

They just don't get their medication at all.

• Bill

The $178 is your monthly premium cost not your deductible. You do not qualify for free medical coverage. Check with your college and see if they offer medical plans for their students. If they do, it will be cheaper than purchasing private coverage. Good Luck

Of course it is legal. Do you somehow expect free medical insurance just because you do not have a job ? How about a free car because you do not have a job ? Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Welcome to the real world.