Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why does labour party remain in commons?

Please read first and forgive me if this sounds really ignorant, as I'm just trying to learn more about politics.

Labour lost the election election to the conservative/democrat back in 2010 so why do they remain in the house of commons to argue? What dictates that they should be there and not some other political part, is it the amount of votes they got in 2012, or because they we're the previous party in power, or what?

Thank You

1 Answer

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Britain has a system of government that is called ‘first past the post’, it meant that the party with the most seats in parliament forms the government. Of the 650 seats that is contested in order to achieve an overall majority one of the party must gain 326 seats. Now in the last election the conservatives got 306, labour 258, and Liberal Democrat 57, as you can see the conservatives fell short by 20 seats, hence the Liberal Democrat pack with the conservatives and we now have what is called a coalition government.

The labour party has won 258 seats now becomes the opposition to the government they are there to ensure that the coalition government policies are in the best interest of the country and without an effective opposition the government could do what it like when it like without anyone to oppose their policies.

If you wish further information on politics and political issues go to the link I provide.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.