What is the best memoir from the French Revolution?

I need either a non-fiction book or a memoir. It would be best if it had some symbolic quotes. Thank you very much!

Favorite Answer

Almost all biographies are somewhat unrealistic and biased. I personally like Life of Empress Josephine, because it shows her memoir during the Revolution, under Reign of Terror and meeting with Napoleon. Second good biography are Memoirs of Madame de Staël and her Ten years of in exile. I read other biographies with some less good quality like History of the Girondists: Or, Personal Memoirs of the Patriots of the French Revolution.

Charlotte Robespierre wrote her biography to justify her brothers, some extracts were published in English, but her entire memoir is in French published two three years after her death. Some memoirs were written by people who were active during the French Revolution, but the changes of the fortune had catch up with them, and they often fabricated their participation. Especially during the Reign of Terror, the life of one person contradict with the written life of the other, and they blame everyone else. This is very hard for study of the French Revolution, if someone decides to stick with particular person and his memoirs. I had read many contradicting issues, especially related to the persona of Danton and Robespierre. Even description of Louis XVI ranges from various sources, and some people differ on his life after 1789, and some denies what other biographies wrote about them and their interaction with disposed king.