What happens if I stop paying my car loan?

So I stupidly took out a car loan with my now ex-boyfriend. We went to a financial service called SpringLeaf Financial, they used to be called American General. They were really nice to us and granted us a $2,000 auto loan but only if we cosigned because at the time I had no credit whatsoever and he had bad credit.... show more So I stupidly took out a car loan with my now ex-boyfriend. We went to a financial service called SpringLeaf Financial, they used to be called American General. They were really nice to us and granted us a $2,000 auto loan but only if we cosigned because at the time I had no credit whatsoever and he had bad credit. At the time I had no reservations because I didn't think we'd be breaking up a year later. But now here we are broken up. We used to live together in Oregon and I moved back to California after we broke up and left the car with him in Oregon, we were on good terms then and I didn't anticipate any problems. Now nearly eight months later he has cut off all communication with me but is still expecting me to pay the car loan payment every month as I have been since we first got the car, we intended for the car to be solely in my name once we paid off the loan so I've been keeping up with the payments. But now that he is being an asshole to me I could care less about the car that turned out to be a lemon and gave us too many problems before finally being in working condition, thousands of dollars later. Anyways, now that he is being a huge asshole to me after a four year relationship, I'd really like to throw it in his face and stop paying all together. I know all ex girlfriends must say this but he really deserves it. I've read that my credit will take a hit but how bad will it be? I know he will take it much harder than me since his credit was **** to begin with.

Sorry for the long explantion, but what will happen to me if I just stop paying?