Do humans have a higher morality than god?

Humans seems to possess a higher morality than god. Humans have created an environment of understanding and acceptance where god and religion had failed before. Humans can accept that a person of a homosexual orientation is not immoral and that such a person can have a meaningful life without being victimized. But god doesn't that. He says such people must be punished and that he will send all of them to hell. In other religions, such people are stoned to death. God has given people so called free will, but, if anyone chooses not to obey his laws, some of which dont actually harm anyone, he sends them to hell to burn forever. This is the kind of intolerance that god inspires on some people. Yes, there are humans who get their inspiration from god to do good, but god also inspire others to bomb other people who dont accept a particular way of thinking.

Human beings can and do accept that women can have a huge contribution in the affairs of the world. And are equals in society. Not god. He maintains that women are to remain subject to their husbands. They are not equal to men because they are weak. In the catholic church and other religions women are not allowed to hold positions of power. God doesn't allow it. All the strides that humans are trying to take in terms of human relations, most have been stunted by god and religion. Remember the tower of babel. God sowed divisions in humans so that they cannot understand each other. Human could have discovered the space a long time ago.

@best to make it so: Of course, I understand morality very well. I think of myself as a moral person, but that is not important, what its important is your failed to see facts as destroyed to, you prepared to lie for it. Humans HAVE created an environment of understanding where god has actually failed. Democratic organisation all over the world are a prove that humans want live peacefully with each other, and accepting each other as humans no matter how different we view things. On the other hand, religion has hindered such progress to continue in a lot of different places. People have bombed to death in Nigeria because they were Christian. Jews and Muslims have murdered each other in middle east, Ireland is a sit of division between protestants and Catholics. Christians in the whole world are trying to convert everyone because they are worshipping a wrong god. And where do they inspiration from? God. You say god loves homosexuals? God does no such thing. He inspired people to stone t

@ best to make it so: Would you please stop lying to yourself. God does not love homosexuals, he inspired people to stone them for centuries. If you dont believe me go to one the Islamic countries an the that you're gay. They would kill you and pray about it afterwards. Or go to any fundamentalist state in the united states. Yes, god accept women, but he also thinks they are weak, and that they have to be ssubject to their man. He doesn't allow them to speak in church. Tell your daughter to be a priest in the catholic church and you'll see what I'm talking about. Or go to any Islamic country and ask them how many women worship in a mosque. Go to a Jewish senagogue. You'll see all women on one side of the building and men on the other. And how many would be rabbis?

Prejudice is imbedded in god's doctrine. It's not morally incorrect to have sex with someone who you love though you're not married to. Yes sex feels special, but it should be left to two co

@nevermor....: I agree with you, Hitler was a despicable person and he knew it. But that is not my point.

What I mean is that where humans have shown morality, God seems to be lacking behind.

1. Humanity accept homosexuality, god doesn't

2. Humanity empowers women, religion and god don't

3. Humanity seeks peace and acceptance between different religions, god and religion dont want any different religion, only one must be superior.

4. Humanity wants a better understanding of the universe, god call it foolishness.

5. Humanity says consenting adults are free to have sex,even if they are not married, god and religion says they must be killed.

Should I mention more?

@Daver: God's standard is not very high. Do I need to remind you of sodom and gomorah, and the flood, how he ordered witches to be burned. Genocide is wrong in anyone standard. Moral Human beings view such acts as savage. God told Israelites not to allow people with disability near the alter. But humans recognize that people with disability also have abilities that can be utilized in the corporate world.

You cannot separate homosexuals from homosexuality, that is ask deception. Homosexuality is what homosexuals do. If you say homosexuals must repent, catholic priest must repent from celibacy, which is also a sin condamned in the new testament.

There is no free will where god is consent. God has chosen some people to be saved and others to be condamned, therefore free will is compromised there.

You say that women will never be clergy in the catholic church, you have proven my point. Why can't women be clergy in the catholic church? Your answer, ITS IMPOSSIBLE. But we humans s

@Aleria: You have not seen any empowering of women? That is pure lie. Being raped and abused etc are not the only things that women do. Please have some truth. You say that god tells women that they are empowered. God does no such thing. Instead he tells women that they shall not speak in church, they shall remain in silence. He allow them to have authority over a man. But we humans say that women can be president,prime minister, cabinet minister etc. Its human laws that guarantee women their rights. Moral humans dont support infanticide, paedofile and all that staff you mention, these thing are prosecuted under criminal acts. I dont know how to stress this enough, humans dont send themselves to hell god does that. And its because of love. How can burning someone in hell forever be equated to love?

Favorite Answer

>>>>God has given people so called free will, but, if anyone chooses not to obey his laws, some of which dont actually harm anyone, he sends them to hell to burn forever. This is the kind of intolerance that god inspires on some people.<<<<

Exactly. And yet many religious people still defend God

Edit;

And yet God is suppose to be all loving.

I am Christian and my God is the essence of morality. Just because some people don't accept Gods gift of morality doesn't mean they have a higher morality than God. You say say humans have created an understanding and acceptance where God failed. Well many Germans accepted and understood Hitler (and still do) for trying to Create the perfect Aryan, blonde haired blue eyed race. Is murdering all those people what you call a moral environment, created by people who are more moral than God? And your remark abt the tower of Babel and "the space" (didn't you mean outer space) is just a joke. I mean that's REALLY pushin' it.

Oh, and btw as far as homosexuality goes, I have friends who are of that inclination and they are still my friends. I feel that what they do in their bedroom is none of my business. Actually, there is very little mentioned abt the subject in the Bible.

• Daver

<<Do humans have a higher morality than god?>>

No.

<<Humans seems to possess a higher morality than god.>>

No. They don't.

<<Humans have created <snip> had failed before.>>

No. It's actually humanity that has failed God's high moral standards.

<<Humans can accept <snip> without being victimized.>>

Those are God's Moral standards. For example, the Catholic Church teaches that merely being homosexual is not immoral. It's actual the homosexual sex act that is immoral. What one is (homosexual) and what one does (homsexual 'act') are two different things entirely.

<<But god doesn't <snip> them to hell.>>

No. God does not say that. Only those who FREELY CHOOSE to commit the homosexual sex act, and do NOT repent the act(s), will go to hell.

<<In other religions <snip> to burn forever.>>

No. Free Will means people freely choose to send themselves to hell. God doesn't actually do the sending.

<<This is the <snip> way of thinking.>>

Some people misunderstand or misinterpret God's message, sure. Some people do it by accident. Some people do it deliberately. As you can see, accountability rests on the shoulders of the PEOPLE who misuse/abuse God's message, not God Himself.

The point is, PEOPLE are the one's who fall short of GOD'S Moral Calling.

<<Human beings can <snip> society. Not god.>>

God is Greater than women, as God created women (and men).

<<He maintains that <snip>they are weak.>>

God maintains that wives are equals to their husbands as husbands are to love their wives. NOWHERE does God say women are "weak"!

<<In the catholic church and other religions women are not allowed to hold positions of power.>>

NO! First of all, there are no positions of "power" in the Catholic Church. There ARE positions of "servitude" in the Church. Men and women can occupy positions of servitude in the Church. Of course, I presume you're refererencing the Clergy. Women in the Cleryg is NEVER going to happen. It's a Dogmatic IMPOSSIBILITY, and cannot be changed even if people wanted it to be changed.

<<God doesn't allow <snip> god and religion.>>

God is God. His reasoning is Higher than our's. It's only because of your humanistic narcisism that you actually believe you mere human are smarter than your own Creator! Oh, the ARROGANCE! HA HA !!!!!

<<Remember the tower <snip> long time ago.>>

What difference does it make 'when' humanity discovers space?

As Bertrand Russell pointed out decades ago, most people are more moral than the majority of priests and vicars. (A few exceptions are exceedingly good and decent people.)

The priests have created a very nasty God. If I though that monster existed, I would agree with you.

Other, nicer, Christians have created far more pleasant Gods. The kind of fellows I could sit down and have a cup of tea with, except that they do not seem to exist.

Aleria is as usual with her crap answer

When did Humanity say pedophila is ok? Who said that? What is that woman talking about?

If you look at Old Testament, you would understand that humans have better morality than God

• Paul

God does seem pretty keen on oppression and dominance in the Bible, doesn't he?

I would argue that yes, we do generally have morals better suited to the greatest utility for the greatest number, even ridiculously anti-freedom Christians like we see in America a lot these days. Just look at the way those guys cherry pick the Bible. They don't condone slavery like God does, or do a lot of the other stuff we've decided, as people, is unacceptable. They cherry pick which bits they want to follow, because they're not really following the Bible, they're following their own judgement about what's good and bad.

The fact that the vast majority of humans would not inflict the cruel punishments or commit genocide would indicate that humans have a higher moral standard than the gods they have created.

• Acceptance is not morality, I believe you are confusing the two.

Morality is not based upon relativism, morality is based in Truth, which is objective.

Accepting homosexual acts is not moral, it's immoral.

I have not seen the empowering of women by humanity, yes, we can vote and own land, but we are objectified, we are raped, abused, and put down for being a virgin while also being put down for NOT being a virgin.

God and His Church tells women that they are already empowered, that in being a woman and being what God has called us to be, we find our TRUE empowerment in womanhood.

Humanity seeks acceptance of what the minority believe in. For example, the homosexual movement clamors about acceptance, but if you disagree with them, they don't accept you or your beliefs or your opinions. There is no acceptance for everyone, only those who agree with them.

God does not call it foolishness to want to understand the universe.

Humanity also says beastiality is okay, infantcide is okay, experimentation on the mentally retarded is okay, euthanasia of the "unwanted" is okay, abortion is okay, pedophilia is okay, pederasty is okay, suicide is okay, pornography and prostitution is okay, buying wives is okay, selling children is okay--humanity seems to be more okay with killing people than God and religion is.

Also, God doesn't send people to Hell, people make the decision to go to Hell.

As you said, we have Free Will. God says "You can follow Me and enter into my Kingdom or you can reject me and enter into Hell." Hell was created by God, not out of hatred, but love and respect for those who want NOTHING to do with Him. Hell is the only place where God's mercy and love cannot be found, Hell is where those who want nothing to do with God are granted their desire.

It is your choice to follow Him or reject Him, God doesn't send you to Hell or to Heaven--YOU send yourself to Heaven or Hell by your choices.

Just the same as YOUR own choices decides if you live as a free citizen within the world OR if you remain in jail. Running nude around the block might not "harm" anyone, but guess what, you'll still be arrested and sentenced to jail because of your choice to do something that is against the law.

You don't get rewarded for breaking the law even though it is completely your own choice, your own free will.

The same goes for God.

Many religions or theologies would say so, but always indirectly. There's a wonderful quote this reminds me of:

"To say on the authority of the Bible that God would do something no honourable man would do, is to lie against God. To say that it is therefore right, because God does it, is to lie against the very spirit of God." - George MacDonald

It's a fallacy to even suppose that there is a God, who created goodness, and yet lacks it. Personally, I find contentment in putting my faith in a God who is infinitely more loving, more gracious, more compassionate, and more perfect than my hopes will ever guess him to be. When religions or beliefs systems make him out to be less wonderful, it just saddens me.

Source(s): George MacDonald
  • Mike N

All of your "understanding and acceptance" you credit to human environment is nothing more than self-serving spinelessness. God definitely is NOT spineless. Maybe one day you'll grow up and see it. Maybe. God Bless you.

Source(s): I'm a Roman Catholic of 60+ years now and a mental health professional with over two decades experience, now retired.