promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Andrea asked in SportsOlympics · 8 years ago

What are the most important things that happened in the Olympics 2012 so far??!!?

Quick awnsers please I just want a summary of the most important things that have happened in the 2012 Olympics so far, it's for a project due soon......Will give 10 points to best awnser!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

In no particular order:

- Phelps becoming the most decorated Olympic athlete of all time

- David Rudisha's world record 800m run in the final (and the fact that even the man that finished in LAST place today in the final would've won the previous three Olympic finals with his time he set today - ie it was a REALLY fast 800m)

- Bolt completing the 'double double' of 100m & 200m in back to back Olympic Games

- This being the first Olympic Games where every competing nation has entered female athletes into competition.

- Lui Xiang's fall at the first hurdle in the 110m hurdle heats this year, and not getting the chance to put his injury issues during the Beijing games behind him when he was their 'face of the Games' in 2008.

- The farcical badminton matches that saw several competitors ejected from the Games for not trying to win.

- The dominance of the GB track cycling squad (getting 7 golds, 1 silver, 1 bronze from 10 events - only one athlete from each nation can compete in each event)

- Oscar Pistorius' inclusion in the 400m and relay events as a disabled athlete. Whilst I don't personally agree on his inclusion of athletes completing with artificial limbs, etc in the main Olympic Games it's been an 'important thing' that's happened in this Olympics.

- The South Korean fencer / judging issue from the first week where she was sitting there for an hour 'alone' whilst the judges dealt with the appeal from her coach following the controversial decision.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that spring to mind as being particularly 'important'. :)

As some added 'extras' that I'd not class quite highly as the ones above there's been the emergence of young swimmers (for both China and USA) who've had great meets, but it's not something earth-shattering at this stage as you frequently get young swimmers bursting on the scene - some will become great over time, some vanish by the next Games. Time will tell.

Finally, I'd also put my personal choice in of Felix Sanchez's victory in the 400m hurdles earlier in the week. Nobody expected the veteran mid-30s runner to figure much in the event after some indifferent form in recent years, then he manages to make the final ... then runs the final in exactly the same winning time as he'd performed when winning the gold 8 years ago in the same event whilst at his long-unbeaten peak. His emotional back-story towards his tearful medal ceremony just added to things. Definitely my favourite non-GB related story of the Games alongside Rudisha's WR tonight. :D Both made me happy as a neutral to watch them.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • velma
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Yea i study that too, do not worry, there's a very small threat of the international ending each and anytime quickly. I wager you probably did not study the area which suggested each little thing that is going to ensue has already befell contained in the previous. The planets have already aligned many circumstances, the earth has been on collision courses with 1000's of asteroids some sufficiently enormous to thoroughly wipe out all existence, yet were nevertheless the following excellent? And Nibiru could be real, or it may be a rumor, you do not prefer to waste your existence nerve-racking about some thing which could ensue. Doomsayers have predicted the suited of the international loads of circumstances contained in the previous, and wager what? they have consistently been incorrect!. :D

• Micheal phelps of USA won the most medal in the Olympics.

Usain Bolt of Jamaica retaining his title both in 100 and 200m, when most spectators doubted him.

Gabby Douglas of USA winning the all round gymnastic final.

Lui Xiang of china falling at the first hurdle.

A female Chinese swimmer breaking world record, swimming faster than a male world record holder Ryan Lotche of USA. I can't remember her name.

Britain host country making it to top three, and breaking many cycling records, equally winning record of golds.

Suadi Arabia sending female athletes for the first time.

Ugh dude I can go on forever.

• Will
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The continuing and lasting image of these games will be the Korean fencer forced to sit on the platform for more than an hour, while the incompetent officiating did nothing. Then, after kicking her in the teeth, she has less than five minutes to prepare for her "consolation" match. That sport, those officials, and the people responsible for the equipment are a disgrace.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Michael Phelps becomes the most decorated olympian of all time.

Usain Bolt defends his title as the fastest man on earth.

8 badminton players were suspended for purposely losing their match.

Oscar Pistorius AKA "Blade Runner" gets to semifinal of 400m....with artificial legs.

Chinese swimmer Ye Shi Wen swims a faster 50m split than Ryan Lochte.

Umm......I can't think of more but there's much more!

• 8 years ago

One of the most important events are Micheal Phelps winning 21 medals

• 8 years ago

Katie Taylor won gold in the women's lightweight boxing. Great ambassador for women's boxing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.