Do you ever think AR parts and accessories are overpriced?

Favorite Answer

very much so. for example at most gun stores and retail stores I see magpul MBUS sights for $120 for the pair. I know they are good sights made by a good manufacturer but lets face it they re just polymer (plastic). I think they are worth about half the price they go for. That's just one example of hundreds out there.

• august

Well, if you think guns are overpriced because the materials only cost $50-$100, but you're paying $500, I've got a solution for you: build your own guns. Oh wait... It isn't that easy. You need machinery, engineering knowledge, kinesthetics knowledge (so you can design a gun that actually works with the human body), and all sorts of time and effort.

So if you're a firearm manufacturer, you've invested lots of money into machinery. You've invested lots of money into MAINTAINING said machinery. You're paying individuals who have more expertise in their little finger than some of the people here have in their whole body to DESIGN firearms. You're paying people to operate the machinery to produce the guns. You're paying sales representatives to go to gun shops and talk up the guns, so that gun shops will actually carry the gun in stock. You're paying lots of money all around, and only a small portion of that money is actually going toward the materials.

You're also trying to make a profit, because this is the USA, a capitalist nation where profit motive is still the primary motivator for business and the major reason businesses are created and expanded, despite Obama's idiotic rantings about how "you didn't build that."

So, back to the original question: are AR parts and accessories overpriced? Maybe. That depends on the part or accessory, and where you buy it. Some places sell things at high prices. I try not to shop at those places. However, I'd rather pay a little extra for a particular part or accessory and KNOW it works, rather than pay less for an inferior product that may fail, potentially catastrophically, during use.

Scopes are a good example of price vs. quality. You can go buy a Tasco scope for $50 at any Wal-Mart, and put it on your rifle. Good luck, because it isn't going to be a very good investment. You can go buy a nice Leupold for about $250, put it on your rifle, and trust it for years and years.

Some are and some aren't. You have to shop around and do lots of research before making a decision on what to buy. I recently finished a varmint AR build where I spent almost a year sorting through the various choices and trying to figure out "best for the money." Once I had sorted through various hand-loads, it's shooting groups between .5 and .7 inches at 100 yards which is about the same as my friends "brand name" version that cost a lot more. Bargains are out there if you keep your eyes open.

• Yes they're way over priced.

The most over priced AR accessory is the SSAR slide fire stock,$350 for maybe $25 worth of plastic.

Until the stock is $100 or less I won't buy one.

I've always though ARs were about as cheap as it comes if you want an accurate semi-auto gun that's cheap to shoot and accurate out to a fairly long distance.

Most Magpul stuff is quite cheap and high quality. When you start looking at competition and match grade barrels and receivers, match grade triggers and the works, thats when the dollars start adding up quickly.

Not really....... The actual AR15 parts I think are fairly priced..... Outside accessories? like forward grips, laser pointers, flashlights, quad rails, air conditioning and cruise control?......... Don't use them and I think they are a waste of money to begin with.....

Not really. Some companies I feel do overcharge such as Noveske who ask for 1,200 for just an basic upper.

I think all gun are over priced. 50-100 dollars worth of material and we pay 500 dollars for guns.

• A B2

depends on where you seach for them.