40cal handgun vs 45cal handgun. whats the ups n dwns comparison. and diffrence in stopping power, recoil etc. ?

For home protection is a less bulky gun better to manuver around in case someone is in your home?

Favorite Answer

Recently I have shot the .40 s&w round. It was a sub compact XD .40. Yes the round was snappy but I believe that if it was a larger gun than recoil would of been more controlable. I also shot a full size XD .45 acp. It was better. The .40 sw opperates at a higher pressure that the .45 acp and so the life of a .40 sw gun is shorter that the low pressure .45acp. A 180gr .40sw round will get you 900- 1000 fps. Now a 185gr .45 acp round will get you over 1000fps, standard preasure or +P, take your pick. Now the Glocks and Sigs have conversion kits. The G21 can shoot .50 GI and 10mm(.40 sw big bro). The .40sw can shoot 9mm and .357 sig with the conversion kits. Truth is the .45acp is a big gun. I love the G30 but a 1911 is how you roll in a .45acp.

First, I've been trained to hate the term "stopping power". Guns don't have "stopping power", cars do. A .22lr will stop someone with a single well placed shot, and a .45ACP won't stop someone if they are high as a kite and you havee poor shots.

However, everyone seems to have varying opinions, but most start like this...the .45ACP has more muzzle energy than the .40S&W or the 9x19 and thus generally has the greatest impact. Where the opinions stray is between the .40 and the 9mm. The 9mm uses a much lower mass bullet (119-124gr) but at a higher muzzle velocity (1200-1300fps, higher in some cases for +p and +p+). The problem with the .40 is, from the history I've read, is it was a shortened 10mm round, and because of this, it has good power, but you tend to have more muzzle flip than a .45 from a similar sized .40. This means it takes a fraction longer for a followup shot in a self defense scenario. A 9mm will definitely have less flip and less recoil than either, which will help you get quicker followup shots.

For home protection only a fullsize gun is fine. I use a Beretta 92 which is a larger gun physically than a 1911, most Glock or Springfields that I've been around. It has roughly a 5" barrel, and only shooting a 9mm round so the muzzle flip and recoil is very manageable. Plus, being a metal frame (I think aluminum) instead of polymer, it has a little more heft, but to be honest, having had a Springfield XD in 9mm, you wouldn't feel the difference between them in home defense. The most important part of home defense is trigger discipline and confirming your target isn't a friend or family member and is a legitimate threat before pulling the trigger, because once the bullet is fired, you can't call it back.

A concealed carry gun is a totally different story. Typically for CCW duty you want a gun that is thinner in the grip for a lower profile, something like the new Springfield XDS (single stack instead of staggered), and a shorter barrel. My Beretta can be concealed, but I'd much rather have an 8-9 shot .45 with a 4" or shorter barrel.

frankly the differences are marginal.

1, they're all handguns, handguns are handguns, none will be any more "bulk" than the other to maneuver around in a home.

2, 40 & 45 is closely matched in stopping power. they make big holes and stop people pretty quick. sometimes a follow up is needed.

3, 45 has more recoil, but 40 is more "snappy".

4, 45 costs less to shoot, 40 costs more

and that's it.

in fact there's only a few guns "too bulky" to maneuver around in a house, I had a Mosin 91/30 (that's a 4 foot long rifle) for home defense for about 6 months, and it was never too big to maneuver inside. i don't live in mansion, my halls and doorways are either normal or slightly smaller than other people's homes.

you've also never seen stopping power until you've shot my .50 cal rifle & saboted bullets at a dead hog. it'll blast that hog in two. one load is using .45 caliber 185 grain bullets, and the other 40 grain 155 grain bullets. the difference in muzzle velocity is around 500 fps, but destruction is roughly the same. well the 40 penetrates a little less. still when you've got a 20" hole in a hog, it really doesn't matter.

This really depends on what gun you're talking about, not just what caliber...

I have a S&W-M&P45, a Glock 23(.40), an FNP40, and a Beretta M9. The one with the most recoil is my Glock, even though it is only a 40 compared to my M&P45. The 45 I have is just so big that there's less recoil and it shoots much easier. However my FNP40 is the same size as the Glock but it has much less recoil.

Less bulky handgun for home protection? This isn't really something that you need to worry about unless you have very limited space to store the gun. Maneuverability with the size of a home defense weapon comes into question when you're talking about rifles and shotguns, not handguns.

As stated in most home defense debates, a shotgun is a better choice, but if you want to decide on a handgun then you're going to need to narrow down your choices of actual guns and not calibers.

I would not look at it from the standpoint of which one has the most stopping power. It matters less with power and more so with how well you are able to group shots and how comfortable you feel.

My guess is that if you want to test them out, try a 40 cal, and try a 45 cal at a range. See how well you can group the shots, how good the recoil is. From there, you can make a personal judgement on which one is better suited for you.

As far as having a gun in your home for protection, I would not stop with a firearm. What I would do is understand where your shots are going to go and understand what "kill zones" are in your house. What I mean is if you fire a shot and miss, what possible thing might get hit that you would not want to get hit? Someone in another bedroom? etc.

Overall I would get a pistol and then once you get that go to a handgun class to train yourself in it. From there, try to shoot it at least once every few months and understand what type of rounds you want and what's best for your particular handgun.

In comparable guns, and loaded with the best ammo for the caliber, there is practicly no difference in the stopping power of the 9mm, the .40 S&W, and the .45 ACP.

The 9mm will hold the most ammo in the same size weapon, the .40 a bit less, and the .45 a bit less yet. Recoil of the 9mm will be the lightest, but none of the 3 are anything ferocious. DO NOT go searching the house for intruders. That puts you in their element and exposes YOU. Work out a tactical plan with your family to gather in one room, (the most defensible one), and call the police while you and your family stay barricaded in that room. Make the bad guys come to you. When the police arrive, you can have someone else throw the keys out the window to them if the doors are locked, and let them know what room you are in, but let them clear the building.

• ?

All semi-auto actions turn sharp recoil into a big twitch which is much more manageable (assuming the Jam-o-matic has had some reliability tuning!). The question AS ASKED points to the 50 Cal Desert Eagle. But how much power is actually needed for good hits to stop a crazed underwear subject at the airport, becomes a campfire topic which will never wear as thin as the appearance of clothing on the scanner!

I go with the 45.

I don't even own a .40.

You are not considering a 9mm? It's effective, easy on the recoil and the least expensive to shoot.

As for manuevering: It's a pistol. Unless it has a 6+ inch barrel and you hang 5 lbs of crap on it there is no difference.

Source(s): Capt. USMCR (Ret). State Certified Firearms Trainer., NRA Pistol Instructor, XD/XDm Factory Certifed Armorer, Concealed carry 20+ yrs, 1 shooting
  • Jeff

Find 3 40 cal pistols and 3 45's. Lay the six pistols side by side--- heck, bring out some 9mm's too.

Wave your bulk-o-meter over all of them and compare results.

If your green enough to ask this question you really don't need to be clearing buildings with a handgun.

• WC

I prefer .40 S&W. It is a matter of personal bias. To some people, if it isn't a .45 caliber, it isn't worth jack.