will format fix an "access denied" problem in a partition?

Hello there,

I need a help here, because some person had unauthorized access to my hard drive i setted some restrictions to a specific partition of my hard drive.

I have a hdd 500Gb in two partitions, one for OS (C:\) and other for saving stuff(D:\ this last I blocked access) the thing is I have no control over the blocked partition more than exploring and executing programs but i cant delete neither create files.

I did restricted access via Partition Properties>Security>Removed users and added users what i missed was actually set my current user to have full control(yeah dumb me) now there is no way I can set it back to full control. I tried to unhidden win7 admin account, boot in safe mode, the cmd close explorer.exe trick, no use; i cant edit the hard drive.

If I reformat C:\ will i gain full access to the protected drive? thanks in advance.

Willmer

Favorite Answer

Reformatting C: will NOT give you access to D:. In fact, you will lose the ability to read anything on the drive, as none of the accounts in the new installation will have ANY permissions for the other partition,

You need to take ownership of the entire drive. The owner of an object can always change permissions, even if not listed as having access.

Easiest to use takeown.exe in an Elevated Command Prompt

To open an Elevated Command Prompt click Start, type cmd, when cmd.exe appears in the list, right click it and click Run as administrator

Type the following:

Takeown /F D:\ /R /D Y

Or in the Gui:

Right click the drive, click Properties

Click the Security tab

Click the Advanced button

Click the Owner tab

Click the Edit button

Check the box for Replace owner on subcontainers and objects

Highlight your user name

Click OK

You may get prompts that you don't have permission to read some folders, click yes to give your account permission. (the /D Y switch with Takeown does this automatically)

If there are any errors you MUST click Continue.

If necessary, do this while logged in with the Built-in Administrator account.

It's unclear from your question if you were unable to activate the Built-in Admin account, or you had, but was unable to change permissions.

To activate it, open an Elevated Command Prompt as above, then type this:

net user administrator /active:yes

Log off or Switch User to sign into that account. Might take a minute or two to log in the first time as the profile folder has to be created.

• Kylee

What your dealing with is the 137 gb limitation on motherboards with bios. If your computer is of the pentium 2 era or younger, as well as some pentium 3 computers (or amd's of similar age) the motherboards didnt use 48bit addressing so the computer is physically unable to read beyond a certain limit. You can solve this issue in several ways. 1) Find the motherboard manufacturer and see if there is a bios update that addresses this issue. Flashing the bios incorrectly is dangerous and can leave you with a paperweight. 2) Use a USB case to access the drive over USB. This is going to be rather slow as you probably only have USB1.1. USB2.0 is probably faster then using it internally... 3) Purchase a hard drive controller as it will read the hard drive instead of the computer. Make sure to get a good one. 4) Use the disc tools that came with hard drive as they could be used sometimes to bypass the bios with a secondary system

• John H

Yes, reformatting will give you a completely new file system.

It's probably possible to fix the permissions problems, but in your case it will be easier to start over from nothing.