Why are non-black people scared of black people?

Now I'm black, I know there is nothing to fear from black people that there isn't in any other race. Today I had some friends tell me that if they were walking down the street and they saw a black person coming that they would switch sides of the roads. So I asked them why, they said "because of the... show more Now I'm black, I know there is nothing to fear from black people that there isn't in any other race. Today I had some friends tell me that if they were walking down the street and they saw a black person coming that they would switch sides of the roads. So I asked them why, they said "because of the way the majority of them act". They said they aren't afraid of me because they know me but it still hurt. I just don't think it's right or fair to assume that someone is going to hurt you based on what you look like, or to assume "the majority of them act that way".
Even though they said they don't do it with me it still hurt, it's like saying "we don't think you are ugly but everyone else does". It makes me think, is this the affect I have on people? I live in a mainly white neighborhood and I think "am I scaring the little old white lady across the street just by walking down the street?"
One of them did say that they hate it, and they wish they didn't do it, but it's just "natural reaction".
I just don't know how to feel about their comments.
Update: Some of you said exactly what I was afraid you would say "based on what I've seen on TV" they are violent. Listen, you DON'T have to be scared of us. Now, if you are in an all black neighborhood I will admit, DON'T go walking around at night, BUT, you shouldn't just be scared of us for no... show more Some of you said exactly what I was afraid you would say "based on what I've seen on TV" they are violent.
Listen, you DON'T have to be scared of us. Now, if you are in an all black neighborhood I will admit, DON'T go walking around at night, BUT, you shouldn't just be scared of us for no reason. We are human beings with souls just like everyone else. And what a lot of people don't realize is that yes, many of us act what you would call "ghetto" but that doesn't make us criminals. Hell, even me, I can get kind of hood too but I've never committed a crime in my life (besides rolling someones house, but that's not that bad).