Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

why are non-black people scared of black people?

Now I'm black, I know there is nothing to fear from black people that there isn't in any other race. Today I had some friends tell me that if they were walking down the street and they saw a black person coming that they would switch sides of the roads. So I asked them why, they said "because of the way the majority of them act". They said they aren't afraid of me because they know me but it still hurt. I just don't think it's right or fair to assume that someone is going to hurt you based on what you look like, or to assume "the majority of them act that way".

Even though they said they don't do it with me it still hurt, it's like saying "we don't think you are ugly but everyone else does". It makes me think, is this the affect I have on people? I live in a mainly white neighborhood and I think "am I scaring the little old white lady across the street just by walking down the street?"

One of them did say that they hate it, and they wish they didn't do it, but it's just "natural reaction".

I just don't know how to feel about their comments.

Some of you said exactly what I was afraid you would say "based on what I've seen on TV" they are violent.

Listen, you DON'T have to be scared of us. Now, if you are in an all black neighborhood I will admit, DON'T go walking around at night, BUT, you shouldn't just be scared of us for no reason. We are human beings with souls just like everyone else. And what a lot of people don't realize is that yes, many of us act what you would call "ghetto" but that doesn't make us criminals. Hell, even me, I can get kind of hood too but I've never committed a crime in my life (besides rolling someones house, but that's not that bad).

Favorite Answer

I don't know, it's just stereotypes.

A few of my friends (Asians) actually admitted to me that they were scared of Black people, before they met me...that they change their views on us. A Black guy actually stole one of my friend's IPhone. I hate stereotypes-since most people think we are all the same: uneducated, ghetyo and angry. It sucks and i try my best not to live up to those stereotypes.

All in all, people see on tv that we are loud, ghetto and stuff and think we areike that in real life. Some of us are, some of us aren't.

Stereotypes. Which hurt some people in the long run. Statistics show you're more likely to be hurt, stolen from, or even killed from someone the same race as yourself and even more disturbing, some one you know.

Look at this guy:

http://www.reversespeech.com/imgs/tedbundy.jpg

Seemingly normal looking Caucasian guy.

He's Ted Bundy and he was an American serial killer, rapist, kidnapper, and necrophile who assaulted and murdered numerous young women and girls during the 1970s and possibly earlier.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc...

You have more to fear from the people around you. Than the people away from you. The media misleads people into thinking they're going to get hurt by black folks when black people are more likely to hurt other black people.

It's because a lot of black people are crazy and violent so yeah it's a natural instinct. I live in Autralia and there aren't even black American people here, but because of everything i hear and see on TV about black American people, i now have a natural fear of black people. Last week i was walking home and 2 African guys were walking toward me and omg my heart was beating so fast! I was so scared that they were going to do something to me! Black Americans have given all black people are bad reputation. I mean i know that not all black people are violent and criminals, but when i see a black person i just feel on edge and nervous, it is a natural reaction. It's just like how most non white people naturally feel that white people are racist, even though they probably know we aren't all racist, it's just a natural instinct for them to feel that we are racist.

• Here are some scenes why non-blacks won't have anything to do with Blacks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P43WZd611WA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcmUFP2fhx8&feature...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-DBrD2TAN4&feature...

How many times have I heard a black guy shouting off about the same old' ****!! Racism racism racism!! It's simple, if a person (black white, green or yellow), commits a crime, they get punished!! Irrespective of colour, sex or race...

Just like after hurricane katrina, Blacks there went on a rampage of mass looting, but you look at Japan after the tsunami they all helped rebuild in such an orderly fashion.

Greatest mistake America ever did was not to repatriate all blacks back to Africa after the Civil War...period!

well am hispanic and i am not afraid of black people

only in the ghetto but outside like in the streets not so much

they're not, they were just worried about getting jacked. people don't worry about asians because they don't commit that many robberies.

just the way it is, and you're having to suffer because of it.