What is the point of multiple swim strokes in the olympics?

The freestyle is the fastest swim stroke, none of these alternative strokes are more efficient than the 'front crawl'. So what is the point in competing at strokes that hold no application in the real world? Why not make Usain Bolt sprint backwards, skip, and do lunges so he can have 8 gold medals too?... show more The freestyle is the fastest swim stroke, none of these alternative strokes are more efficient than the 'front crawl'. So what is the point in competing at strokes that hold no application in the real world? Why not make Usain Bolt sprint backwards, skip, and do lunges so he can have 8 gold medals too?

I think the extra events make the Olympics much more entertaining but I like to think that the Olympics challenge people in events that use skills applicable to real life. I don't think the breaststroke, backstroke, fly, or speedwalking have any real kind of application to athletics much less the real world, can you defend these events and their worth in the Olympics?