Wendy asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

What are the healthiest cat food brands?

My cat is fat and we need her to lose weight, what are the healthiest cat food brands i can feed her? Wet food and dry food

Favorite Answer

I feed my four cats Nutro Natural Choice dry food and I also feed them canned food. They have dry available all day and get canned food for breakfast and dinner. Natural Choice is a great food to feed because it has higher protein and lower carbs and it does not contain any chicken by-products, ground corn, or any artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. It's also made in the US in Nutro's own factories and each factory goes through 600 quality checks per day to ensure freshness, safety and quality. I have one cat that is super finicky about her food and she loves Natural Choice. It's good that you want to feed both wet and dry food because feeding canned food can help with weight management and also with urinary health. I'm a pet nutrition specialist with Nutro and have been feeding it for over 25 years to all my furry kids and it's always worked great. Here's a link to learn more about it and read some reviews. http://www.nutro.com/natural-cat-food/natural-choi... Good luck and hope this helps.

http://www.nutro.com/pet-center/mixing-wet-and-dry...

Mix It Up For Better Cat Health

Some cat owners swear by wet food. Others insist dry is best. And according to the WALTHAM® Centre for Pet Nutrition, both sides have merit. In fact, WALTHAM® research shows that mixing wet and dry cat food together benefits your cat in more ways than one.

Benefits of Mixed Feeding

Improved Urinary Tract Health — When you feed your cat a diet of dry kibble mixed with a high moisture, wet food, it increases your cat’s water intake resulting in more urine production. The higher water volume dilutes the urine while increasing the frequency of urination — both of which help prevent the formation of mineral crystals or urinary stones.

Better Weight Management — WALTHAM® studies have shown cats that are fed a high moisture diet eat less, gain less weight per calorie eaten and have increased activity levels compared with cats fed only a dry food diet. What’s more, owners tend to better control the size of their cat’s meal portions when part of the diet contains wet food.

Healthy Metabolism — With more real meat and fewer carbohydrates, wet food provides a healthy balance of proteins, fats and carbohydrates that satisfies a cat’s instinctive feeding behavior and helps maintain a healthy metabolism.

Enhanced Eating Enjoyment — When given a choice, cats prefer to eat a mixture of both wet and dry foods. Wet food is shown to increase enjoyment whereas dry food satisfies her desire to eat many small meals throughout the day.

Improved Oral Health — The crunchy texture of dry food helps keep teeth clean by scraping away plaque and tartar.

Recommended Mixed Feeding Program

While each cat is different, WALTHAM® studies have shown that a mixed feeding program is beneficial for both weight management and urinary tract health. For weight management, at least 1/3 of the total daily food intake should be wet food. If urinary tract health is the goal, then wet food should make up a least 3/4 of the daily volume.

Source(s): Owner of four cats (or do they own me)

It is best to work with your vet on a weight reduction approach. It normally can be done with your regular food, just slightly less of it. Any weight reduction should be gradual, so think in terms of ounces per month, not pounds per month.

Too fast of a caloric reduction can cause health problems, and deprive them of essential nourishment. The link I am posting has approaches.

The healthiest foods are ones that have meat as the first ingredient. And, in addition, your cat has to agree with eating the food. Your cat isn't concerned about your opinion on food, as she will only eat what she likes.

I have a small cattery and found Royal Canin works well for me since there are so many choices. For instance," babycat" is the size of small beads and my little guys begin eating this at two and three weeks of age. They then progress to "kitten", which is in the form of a small star. Easy to eat and they love it. Other selections include, "Queen", for pregnant and nursing mothers, "Persian", several types just for "Picky Eaters" , as well as several more. The ingredients are easily digestible and of high quality. Purina Pro Plan has also been a favorite at my house. Again, many varieties and Purina One has a special "diet" brand. I always leave food and water out for all my cats but if yours eats more like a dog......special food times may be in order.

Cats' Basic Nutritional Needs

Protein from a named meat, fish, or poultry source

Taurine, an essential amino acid

Certain other vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and fatty acids

Water

For more details visits the following links.

You'll probably get many recommendations. I've tried a number of them, and always come back to Science Diet. You can get a "Light" version that will help with weight control, although you will still want to limit the amount you give her -- i.e., don't let her have as much as she wants.

Science diet. By the way ... usually the cheaper brands are the ones not healthy for them. Isnt that always the way.

what worked best for my cat is a brand called blue, my kitty loves it and it is made of real chicken and reallllllllyyyy heathly! you can get a free sample at blue.com it has dog and cat food :)

hope i helped! :)

Source(s): kitty owner

is fancy feast a good cat food

wiskas or temptations