Recommend gore/horror novels?

I'm in the process of writing a horror novel, and after publishing my first series six years ago i learned that reading similar books can create great inspiration for other writers. I need something with gore and plenty of detail ((*because I'm terrible at detail :( *)) I've been reading a lot of anthologies. (Ex. Vile Things, Sick Things; they are sick! I love it! But they're not "novels/books" They're one shot stories and I'm hoping for my book to be a trilogy (or at least two, depending on success) i don't read Stephen king because I've read nearly all of them and I don't like rereading books. I've already been given these ideas (just so you guys won't repeat):Heart Shaped Box, The Girls He Adored, Lullaby, Zombie, and American Psycho. I have a strong stomach so the content is unlimited: torture, cannibalism, sexual, morbidity, supernatural, and so on. There are really no restriction to any ideas. Thanks for any comments :) I'm also looking into ideas for monsters, so if you can't think of any books at least give me some ideas on monsters that scare you (you can reference me to games or movie monsters) ALSO, MAKE SURE THE BOOKS YOU RECOMMEND HAVE LITTLE TO NO ROMANCE!!! It's just a personally pet peeve reading books that use romance in horror novels. It ruins the mood every time for me.

• Cody
    Favorite Answer

Haha, not to sound cocky or conceded, but be glad I found your question! You've named my genre!!

The Ruins, by Scott Smith (this book can be summed up with Stephen King's words: "The best horror novel of the new century." It grabs you by the neck and never lets go, so to speak. Very disturbing, very mysterious but also blatant and psychological in its horror, this book is nearly perfect. It's gory, it's chilling, unsettling, and horrifying all at the same time, and brilliantly written by an author whom I wish would pump out more books, because he has the potential to be known like Stephen King, or Richard Matheson, or Peter Straub)

Ghost Story, by Peter Straub (this horror novel belongs to be known as a classic. It has a very distinct atmosphere, very eerie, and many moments I know I will carry with me forever--it was that good. Ominous and in-your-face at the same time, the horror of this story just grows and grows, and the story never loses touch with itself nor its perfectly human characters. It's very dark, very gothic, violent, and Straub's writing is pure, poetic prose put into a sort of simple form...it's hard to describe how good this book is all around)

The Exorcist, by William Peter Blatty (I beg that you don't judge this book by the movie--the book is a FAR better experience, and shockingly more believable and much smarter, too. It is VERY violent, gruesome, and gory as you could imagine, and it also plays psychological horror as well. Genuinely scary, I know people who get scared when I just mention this book, haha! It didn't have that effect on me because what scares me more would be more subtle, emotional or psychological things, but that certainly didn't take away from the piece of art that this book is. Blatty is like a poet with a story, as I like to say, because his writing is beautiful, and perfect for this story)

Hell House, by Richard Matheson (undoubtedly one of the best haunted house novels ever written, reading Matheson is somehow educational. His writing is very, very concise and simple, yet it's still speechlessly good, and his form in this book is an interesting one. It makes the idea of a haunted house scarily real not only in the horror field but also science and parapsychology. It uses the power of suggestion to its advantages, and yet is among the most disturbing books I've ever read)

The Haunting of Hill House, by Shirley Jackson (an obvious inspiration to books like Hell House, this one though less frightening in my opinion, is much more subtle, and Jackson's writing IS poetry. It can teach you a lot about writing, even just reading the unforgettable and immediately terrifying but amazing first paragraph)

And though you've read much Stephen King, I have to ask if you've read "IT," because that...uh...well I won't even go into that, because i could talk forever about it! But if you haven't read it, it's basically completely necessary that you do!

Also, I wanted to give some input. You don't need a monster. I mean, maybe you do for your type of book, but under most circumstances, you don't need a monster to make something scary. It can be effective, it could kill a perfectly real and fluid story, or it could even be laughable in the worst case scenarios. And don't go asking others what scares them--write from your own heart, find your own truth, not those of others. The rest will follow. Seeking approval is a way of selling out.

Good luck with your story, and I hope you find this helpful to you!

Cheers!

i become going to signify Jude Deveraux!! She and Johanna Lindsey are the perfect. Julie Garwood and Catherine Coulter are up there besides. i have not study any romance novels in years yet i have saved my favorites. All tear-jerkers of direction. commence with Jude Deveraux in case you have not study the lady sequence yet. Jude Deveraux: lost woman (perfect one ever!) River woman Counterfeit woman Catherine Coulter: The Hellion Bride The Heiress Bride The insurrection Bride Julie Garwood: The Prize Castles dad or mum Angel Shannon Drake: No different lady No different Love Johanna Lindsey: Love Me continually So Speaks the coronary heart secret fireplace resign My Love